Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers

Am Tue, 17 Apr 2018 13:14:57 +0100, schrieb James Wilkinson Sword:

You have an intuitive mind.

Every car is different. I've replaced spark plugs in an Infiniti where the engine has to come out. For you to say, "funny, whenever I've replaced spark plugs (and I've replaced a lot in my cars), I've never had to lift the engine", is just telling us you haven't done enough engines yet! :)

Likewise, I've replaced what amounts to the PCV valve in a BMW (they call it a CCV) where the amount of stuff that has to be removed is nothing like that of a typical American car so for you to say something like "funny, whenever I've replaced PCV (and I've replaced a lot in my cars), I've never had to lift the intake manifold", is just telling us you haven't done enough engines yet! :)

You just don't have the expertise yet - but you will soon.

The iPad doesn't have cellular. It's WiFi only. And if it had cellular, it wouldn't work, since the neighbor's SIM card wouldn't even fit, let alone work. And they are on Verizon anyway, but it still wouldn't work as they had puny cellphones.

You don't have the expertise yet to understand the problem set sufficiently, (likely because you have no experience with iOS perhaps?) which is fine but which seems to be the case.

Remember, it took only a minute or three to set this up, whereas what you're suggesting is either impossible (putting the tablet on their wifi network) or impractical by way of comparison (using a puny cell phone when a tablet is better).

What would be preferable, instead of suggesting impossible or impractical solutions, would be to suggest a one-step (instead of two-step) solution to get the video onto the WiFi-only iPad.

Now *that* would be a useful suggestion (because it would take intelligence and expertise to solve that problem, which is something that is not intuitive).

Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Tue, 17 Apr 2018 13:59:09 +0100, schrieb James Wilkinson Sword:

That's a good point, where there must be *something* that draws Apple fans to the iOS devices.

It could be that Apple marketing makes these users "feel" safe?

Dunno.

It could be that Apple marketing makes the user feel "stylish"?

It could be that Apple's walled garden makes people who are willing to be walled in have way to communicate with each other without having to think about technicalities?

Dunno.

You tell me. It must be *something* that draws these people to iOS products.

Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

I see it as common sense.

If I can't access A without removing B in the engine bay, I take it to the garage. I don't even change my own oil. I do however buy my own parts on Ebay. This really pisses off the garage who likes to make money on markup. I get them to do a service/MOT check and give me a list of what's wrong with it, then I turn up a few days later with all the parts and insist they only charge for the labour on the bill. If they refuse, bringing up the subject of ripoff and markup frightens off other customers and they get on with it.

Car designers never seem to think of servicing ease.

Then the ipad is a piece of shit. Use whatever phone of yours or theirs has cellular access.

I avoid IOS because I know it's rubbish.

Stop using an Ipad. Surely there are normal tablets (as in non-Apple) that can access the cell network?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Stupidity.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

And it's not just the clips, it's if there are clips and how you access them. I prefer to learn from the experience of others. It's why for 100 years there have been shop manuals for cars as well as other equipment. Today we have videos that in many cases are even better and cover some repairs that they left out of the manual. To assume that because he did it on a few cars, that's how they are all put together, is obviously seriously flawed. But then what do you expect from him.

BMW CCV is a good example. It's buried under the intake manifold, where you can't even see it or the several bolts that hold it on. It has three hoses going to it that twist lock on. You have to do two of them blind, by feel only. Videos are an enormous benefit. And unlike the typical PCV valve it is failure prone with possible hydraulic locking of the engine with oil. It's an example of those Germans over thinking things. But if you go to the BMW forums, the foolish gearheads there won't admit there is anything at all wrong with it. BMW did it, must be the best thing ever.

Or how about putting a variable speed electronic fan in front of the radiator? No problems putting electronics in that environment, right? Used to be a simple thermostatic on/off switch, but no, BMW had to make it variable speed. So they fail in a few years and cost $500 plus labor to replace. I suppose JWS could just remove and replace one of those without a video too......

If I was interested in accessing any of the speakers that I did not already have experience with, first thing I'd do is look at the Bentley manual and if it wasn't in there or clear, then I'd look for a video. I'd rather spend 15 mins or half hour finding out how to do it the right way, rather than hack around frustrated, possibly damaging things. And in the case of speakers, you might also learn something more than how they come out, eg the experience of others with possibly fitting larger, better ones, which ones are exact fit, etc.

But then to each his own....

Reply to
trader_4

e garage. I don't even change my own oil. I do however buy my own parts o n Ebay.

Nuff said about your experience with cars and what your advice and opinions are based on.

et them to do a service/MOT check and give me a list of what's wrong with i t, then I turn up a few days later with all the parts and insist they only charge for >the labour on the bill.

You piss off most people here without bringing us any parts, so that's not surprising. If I ran a shop, not sure what I'd do with customers requesting that I use parts they supply. Having experience working on cars myself, I can see lots of big trouble. Customer buys crap Chinese part for $50 on Ebay when a decent one costs $150. It won't go on the car because it's not machined to the correct size, now what? Spend two hours trying to dress it down, get it on the car? And then the cheap customer says, that job should have only taken an hour, why should I pay you for two or three? Or you put it on and it fails in a month and the cheap customer comes back blaming the shop. Even if parts are marked as if they were from a genuine supplier, eg BMW or one of their OEM suppliers, if it came from Ebay or similar, they are plenty of counterfeit goods on there. So, I have sympathy for shops that may insist on only dealing with parts they supply.

e would have difficulty holding and using the device comfortably -- Callum Kerr, 2013.

I have an Android with a 6" screen and have no problem holding it comfortably. I did have some concern prior to buying it, so I cut out a piece of cardboard box the size of the phone to try it. Decided it was OK and have no regrets. I have a good size screen I can see. May not be able to get another one though, Trump is now at war with ZTE and I see something about him embargoing them.

Reply to
trader_4

What a load of shit you tossers spout.

Reply to
+++ATH0

What do you expect from someone called "Ragnusen"?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife