USAA (home,car,etc) insurance. In '60, wonderful. Now?

Way back in the 60's, while I was in the army, I signed up for USAA.

Back then, it had a *very* good reputation.

Recently, I heard a disturbing story or two, about how when claims were made, they paid out *far* less than expected.

Roughly what experience can one expect, *these days*?

---------------------------

We live in New York state -- but also have a (very) small condo down in Florida (Sarasota).

So, anyone have experience with USAA in Florida?

Thanks!

David

Reply to
David Combs

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote in news:g3vej5$29t$1 @panix2.panix.com:

Snipped

So, anyone have experience with USAA in Florida?

Been with USAA for many years, in three different states including Florida, and have had no problems with their business practices. They even have overuled a sub-contractor on a windshield replacement claim resulting in an increase in USAAs cost for the claim.

I do find that they do not tolerate marginal customers, so folks who lie on forms or do stupid things may run into problems. Personally I do not have a problem with this as the rationale is that these kinds of customers increase payouts and cause rate increases for the rest of us.

Overall a very satisfied customer.

Reply to
Doc

Just about all my insurance policies are with USAA. Haven't had a claim in years, but can say they cash my checks to them promptly!

They were good with chipped windshield crack repair claims!

paul

David Combs wrote:

Reply to
Paul Oman

Ii've been with USAA for almost 50 years, and have always had great success. On one occasion they paid off a $100K HHG claim when a warehouse burned down during a PCS move -- I had upgraded the coverage from $50K to $100K two days before the moving company picked up my stuff. I also get a semi-annual rebate check from them -- the last one was for several hundred dollars. They also have recently received a repeat reward for outstanding customer service -- #1 among all companies in the U.S.

However, they probably won't cover your condo -- because of problems with the Florida government's effort to control insurance prices, USAA has stopped writing home coverage in Florida except for active duty military on orders to this state. They have also cancelled all coverage on second homes in Florida, driving a lot of people to the state-owned insurance company.

Reply to
JimR

Hmmm. Well, re the florida condo (a 2nd home), they haven't

*cancelled* us yet.

Either we've fallen through the cracks, or their policy is to not write *new* policies there, or maybe it's just for new *customers*?

That is, maybe they're keeping the already-existing (Florida) policies?

Thanks!

David

Reply to
David Combs

David Combs wrote: ...

Don't know about them specifically but I heard on the news just the other day that owing to increased profitability in the insurance industry overall that underwriters are returning to the FL and other Gulf Coast markets.

--

Reply to
dpb

The reference I found on USAA's web site said they were dropping 27,000 second home policies and significantly restrict writing any new primary policies. I assume those 27,000 policies were in the highest risk areas as that probably isn't every second home USAA covers in Florida.

Reply to
Robert Neville

I had a car accident where the other driver was at fault and she had USAA insurance. The accident resulted in both cars being totaled and quite a bit of medical bills. USAA handled all my claims in a very friendly & professional manner. We got what we asked for during negotiations and I have no complaints against them as an insurance company.

KC

Reply to
KC

[snip]

Maybe my words "all coverage" for second homes was an overstatement, but that was my impression. Also, that they will only write new policies for active duty military assigned to the state. Besides a letter from USAA a few months ago that I can't find, my other data point is a casual contact here in Central Florida's highlands that has been a USAA customer for many years and had his second-home policy cancelled. (His first home is in Broward County -- Ft. Lauderdale area). We're just about as far away from salt water as it's possible to be in Florida.

Second-home policy didn't affect me -- my second home is either the office or the riding lawnmower - - - no USAA insurance required --

Reply to
JimR