unstabbing a electrical plug

I am replacing some switches that the wires were trimmed and pushed into the switch instead of bending the wire around the screw. My problem is pushing a small screw driver into the release hole does not release the wire. Is this a common problem or am I just not doing something correctly? What's the secrete?

Evon Barvinchack

No secret, if it doesn't release, just cut the wire and re strip it

Reply to
RBM

Alternatively, he could get a BIG pair of "channel lock" pliers and destroy the plastic housing of the old switch and the "stabbed" wires will just drop out.

You don't want to shorten wires if there is a work around.

Reply to
John Gilmer

i had that problem too

Reply to
ryano

I have the same problem from time to time. A small screw driver doesn't seem to work for me either. I use a piece of #14 solid copper wire to free up the connection as I usually have some readily available. A small nail is good too. Also, don't try pulling too hard to get the wire out. Push it in a bit and let it come out.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Twist the switch back and forth and pull gently on the wire. It will work it's way out without damage

Reply to
hwm54112

Pulling on the wire (moderately) while rotating the device back and forth will usually 'walk' the wire out.

bud--

Reply to
Bud--

Probably the latter, you push the small screw drive in to release the catch but often it doesn't really release until you push the wire in, then it releases completely.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon