Under-Deck Drainage

Any ideas on installing some under-deck drainage? I have a raised deck and would like to convert some of the space under it for storage, so I need to get the rain water carried away. Any hints would be helpful.

Thanks.

Reply to
Dan

Someone else just recently asked something very similar -- he was wanting to build a shed under his own deck.

I was flipping through channels a couple of weeks back and came upon an HGTV show called "Fix It Up". They were doing a project where they had a good sized deck and the homeowner wanted to use the space beneath it for storage. So they put a vinyl drainage system under the deck, adding downspouts and gutters, and had a dry space.

Here's a link to the project information from the show:

I haven't done one of these myself, but it is my understanding that these puppies come in something of a kit. It's fairly straightforward -- there are panels that affix to the bottom of the deck itself and you install them with a slight decline (so water will run away from the house and towards the gutters of course). Then you simply add gutters and downspouts. It could just as easily be used to create living space beneath a deck such as a patio.

There are a number of such systems out there, but one that was featured on the HomeExpo.Com site can be found at

and I'll wager their cover picture will be exactly what you want to do, although with a bit of overkill. :P

James

Reply to
JNJ

You can also use those fiberglass roof panels on a frame you build to carry the water away. Sort of a lean-to under the deck but with only a little slant to the roof.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob