Two barrels, linked at bottom by a hose, with different water heights?

Neither does anyone else :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Good point, but they're right next to each other so they're both at the same height off the ground.

Reply to
dgk

Connecting hose is pretty cheap garden hose, maybe 3/4" outside diameter. There could be some narrowing because I cut off the male end and used a plastic female adapter.

Reply to
dgk

Maybe it's sort of an optical illusion. When I get home today I'm going to stick a ruler down each one and see just how high the water is.

Reply to
dgk

They are next to each other but I was just using the old eye, and the eye is getting old. At first there was a large difference but it looked much smaller yesterday. When I get home I'm going to stick a ruler and and know for sure.

Reply to
dgk

Inches, but I'll check exactly tonight.

Reply to
dgk

Nope, the level should have equalized fairly quickly. Speed only dependent on how fast the water could flow from barrel to barrel.

You are using the wrong point of reference for your measurement of height.

The water levels must be measured using the SAME point of reference.

I bet if you take an 8' bubble level, and suspend it over both barrels such that it is level, and measure from that level to the surface of the water in each barrel, the levels will be the same on both barrels.

Reply to
dennisgauge

... just not a 2x4 from HD, because theirs are usually banana-shaped :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Be sure, I mean _really_ sure, that the barrels are at the identical height or betyter, put a 2/xv or other straight edge from one to the other and level it, then measure from the straight edge.

Basically if you are positive the level is different in the barrels after measureing from a level item you will be famous. Physicists from all over the coutnry will be pouring into your place.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

OK if he uses a level instead of his "old eyes"

Reply to
clare

This concept is taught in 3rd grade Physics. Some of you need to take a refresher class. Sheeeeeeeesh!

Reply to
Bernie Ward

Many years ago I had a similar problem while using a "water level." Here is the trick to using a water level, and possibly, the reason to your dilemma.

  1. Fill a long enough length of clear tubing to successfully conduct the test (probably more than a minimum of 10 feet).
  2. Hold both ends up next to a wall and make a mark where the water level is. Both ends will have an equal height.
  3. Do not move one end (we'll call that the "fixed" end) from where the mark was made but move the other end (we'll call that the "moveable" end) to another wall (or whatever) where you want to find an equal height to the fixed end.
  4. Unless you are extremely lucky where you place the moveable end you will notice the fixed end water level has changed from it's initial location. Move the moveable end of the tube either up or down to "correct" the water level of the fixed end. Once the water level of the fixed end is again even with the initial reference mark the water level at the moveable end will be at the same height.
Reply to
Gordon Shumway

You can mitigate this problem by putting a reservoir at the stationary end so small changes in volume don't change the level much.

Reply to
mike

What?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

That's very funny. Well, not really funny when you're trying to get a straight piece.

Reply to
dgk

This is the setup:

I did a simpler test. Since the ground is approximately level and the cinderblocks are the same height, I put a tape measure into each barrel after a brief downpour and the water in each barrel is now

24.5" high which is the max since the overflow hose on the rainbarrel is at that height (can't see it in the photo). There really was a difference when I first hooked it up, as the rainbarrel was full and the Rubbermaid garbage can was empty and the transfer just stopped after maybe 8" had transferred, just about to that line you can see on the Rubbermaid near the bottom. All I can think of was that something was blocking it and subsequently got pushed out.

Note the use of ever popular duct tape holding down the screen over the can. I'll do a neater job but the idea was to keep mosquitos out, not to mention larger critters. The top for that can was lost at least a decade ago.

I would have gotten larger barrels if I had any idea how much water can actually be captured by these things. My water bill is now over $500 a year so this really isn't a bad idea.

Also, arriving today, is a package of Mosquito Dunks which is apparently some bacteria that kills mosquito larvae but not your pets. It looks like 1/4 of a dunk per barrel will do for a month or so. That means I will have enough for a few years.

Reply to
dgk

Thanks for the photo. I agree, must have been some gunk in the hose or faucets.

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C