Tub advise

I am totally remodeling a bathroom and replacing a bath tub. I am leaning towards Kohler cast iron tub. Is it good choice? What tub material is the best? What's the appropriate way to install a tub? Should I first attach W&O and then lower tub in place? Should it be set in mortar?

Reply to
Sasha

"Best" is down to personal taste.

Copper?

CWatters

As tubs go, you can't do better in C/I than Kohler. No mortar.

Reply to
G Henslee

Cast iron is excellent choice, IMHO. What is W&O? Waste and Overflow? If so, yes, pre-assembly is always easier, if it doesn't interfere with installation. If you have never done this before, leaf through the DIY book and pay attention to the paragraphs about making sure floor is and level, adding below-subfloor blocking under the weight points (flat areas on bottom) if needed, adding blocking/nailers in wall where lip hits, insulating behind and under tub (especially if on outside wall), making sure tub is installed dead-level at top of lip, and providing access panel on backside of faucet wall. No mortar bed is needed for CI. Back in stone age, box tub comes in used to provide pretty good instructions, as well as a cutout to line tub and ledge with while tile guy and plumber is working on it. A dropped wrench in last step chipping the porcelin can ruin your whole day. I tend to recommend people pay a pro the first time, and watch closely and learn. Any oopsies are then his problem.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

A dropped wrench in last step chipping the porcelin can ruin your whole

Amen to that. 1st timers always underestimate the weight of these tubs. Cheers, Boat_dreams.

Reply to
Boat_dreams

for all your answers.

Reply to