Basement Tub Drain to Shower Drain Question

I am working on a in-law apartment in our basement so when we had the house a full bathroom rough-in was installed. I don't have the money to pay someone to break the concrete and move the drain to the proper location so I was considering doing it myself.

A Bird's eye view:

------------------wall-------------------- | | | o * | | | | O | | | | | | | |

------------------------------------------- o = tub drain

  • = place to move tub drain for shower drain = toilet rough-in O = I believe the vent for the toilet and tub drain

I openned the seal of the tub drain and saw water as I should since it's a trap. My best guess at the steps are:

1) Break the concrete from the tub drain to the new shower drain 2) Cut the PVC pipe at the location for the shower drain and install a trap there 3) Remove the tub drain piece 4) Refill with concrete 5) Attach Shower Base to stud walls and install gasket on the drainage pipe

Any critiques on this and suggestions on the shower base drainage pipe installation?

Thanks,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

You're assuming the tub drain runs in a straight line to where the shower will be ?? Hmmmm Run a snake down the drain and see if you can hear it in the slab as a possible way to track it. *maybe* a metal detector would pick up the snake, but I doubt it.

This is the shower drain fittin g you want:

rubber sleeve makes the "calked" connection to the PVC pipe stubbed up. Many shower bases come with this fitting already.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

you are not really going to know whats up until you break into the slab and find out where the tub drain is going. Also it seems fishy to me that there would be only one vent for both the toilet and the tub, if it's relatively new construction, that is. I would try to figure out if the tub has its own vent.

Reply to
marson