Tub surrounds directly to studs?

I am going to start re-doing a bathroom shortly and my wife wanted to keep our old cast-iron tub, remove the wall tiles, and install a tub surround. We went to home depot and I felt some of them and chose one that seemed the most sturdy. It was about $300.00 and screws directly to studs. Since it screws into studs, I am not going to install any green board ( the dimensions would be tight if I did), but will this result in a loud shower to the neighboring room? Should I install some type of foam as an insulator? Should I put the greenboard up anyway?

Reply to
snoopy_

In my opinion, shower noise isn't a big deal. What you really don't want is to sit on the toilet and be able to hear a conversation in the next room. Talk about lack of privacy ...

If the surround is rated for use without any backing, then skip the drywall. Simple R13 Fiberglass insulation makes a nice soundproofing barrier. The properties that make it a good thermal insulator also make it a good noise insulator. Install it just like you would if you were using it for an exterior wall. Try not to squeeze it in tightly and try not to leave air gaps. You'll find it's a lot more forgiving than foam.

flowing through the supply lines. Be sure to get behind those, too.

Reply to
trbo20

Reply to
snoopy_