Troublesome floor heater vents

I'm in SW AZ and the local propane cost has become very high. I've not used the furnace in my mobile home for decades due to this cost. Winters are warm enough to get by with space heaters.

Anyhow, the mobile home is old and the edges of the floor heater vent covers keep riding up and need fussing with to avoid tripping over them. The screw holes in the floor for the vents have long ago enlarged so they don't hold any more.

Suggestions for something to make the screws work again, maybe some sort of insert? Or something very thin I can easily put over the vents to cover them that will stay securely in place so I don't trip over them like I do the vents but can be removed some day if necessary? The troublesome vents are on floors with no rugs.

TIA

Reply to
KenK

Is there a grating that covers the vent? And, that would have a "lip" around the edge that is "solid" (whereas the center portion of the grate would be perforated to allow air flow).

Can you just *move* the holes (drill new ones) a little offset from the others? Into "virgin" metal (for the grate and the floor)?

If you rotate the grate 180 degrees, does it alter the air flow? If not, does it end up "moving" the existing holes (or, are the holes symmetric)?

Reply to
Don Y

Depending on how big the screws are and how thick the floor is there are several methods. For thin wood floors take a piece of wood and cut it so it is a tight fit to the hole and glue it in. You may ge able to go to a larger size screw.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The mobile home vents I've seen are rectangular. Two screws, one at each end. Can you drill a clear hole in two corners, and put in new screws?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:V_qAy.20129 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx39.iad:

That's a great idea! I found some plastic screw anchors for dry wall (I think) in Walmart that seem to work. They spread out into a 'Y' and seem to fill the hole. I'll see how they hold up first.

Reply to
KenK

I'm promoting you to Field Tester Third Class. When your report is scored by the AHR monitors, we may promote you to second class. You'll be only a few assignments away from a colored ribbon, and a pin to wear.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:x_0By.54445 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx40.iad:

Wow! I'm stunned! Will I get a uniform? Or a badge?

Reply to
KenK

Trailer house floors are always made out of crappy particle board. Screws dont hold well in that crap. Those plastic anchors are the solution, and if I was doing it, I'd probably put a little glue on the outside of them before banging them into the floor. A little epoxy goes a long way, or some of that construction adhesive.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Yes, and you'll also have the authority to identify and reply to trolls. We'll also give you the direct line to Bad Golferman's secretary so you can report trolls as needed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Propane should be at a 10 year low right now. Fans been broke in my heater at camp. Electric works or me.

Greg

Reply to
gregz