Low power space heater?

Is there such a thing as a low power space heater? My central heating in my mobile home is propane which has become too expensive to use. I don't have heat in the kitchen and I have relatively high power stuff like a refrigerator, MW oven, bread machine, etc. there. Rather than worrying about tripping the breaker can anyone think of a way to up the temps a bit when I'm in there for any length of time? I live in SW AZ so cold to me is 50s - 60s.
I have a swamp cooler there whose AC receptacle would be available in winter but I'm afraid it doesn't use nearly as much current as a space heater so that though the swamp cooler doesn't cause any breaker tripping the heater might.
Suggestions? Experiences?
TIA

In alt.home.repair, on 28 Dec 2018 18:05:55 GMT, KenK

For some strange reason, temperatures that woudl seem warm outside seem cold inside. Even wearing the same clothes. 60 is cold inside.

If all you have to do is reset the breaker, try it and see. AFAIK all breakers are 15 amps or more and most space heaters I've seen are 1100 watts, which is less than 15 amps.
But electricity is usually expensive. Will it be cheaper than propane?
Put in a little fan to blow warm air from part of the place to the kitchen.
Wear a sweater. (That's my mother's recommendation, and indeed, I think that was the standard until some time after WWII. Look at Father Knows Best. I think it's still the standard in most of the world. (Although there is another way to look at it: I've spend $90 to be almost warm, and if I spend just 4 or 5 dollars more, I can be actually warm. Your numbers may vary. Void where prohibited by law.)

I'm thinking of that plus the fridge, MW, etc.

I wear one all winter.

On Friday, December 28, 2018 at 1:05:59 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

A heat pump, maybe mini-split could work well in that environment. You would be getting 3x+ what you would from electric resistance heat.

That's a new one to me. I'll have to research it. Sounds like a winner.

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 12:47:04 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

Having seen the other replies, I think it might be a solution for heating/cooling the whole place and it may be less expensive to run than propane. With minis you can have two or three inside units running off one outside condenser. You can run them independently, don't have to run them all, etc. But they are in the several thousand dollar range, not cheap. AZ is a good climate for heat pump, but then you're probably not burning all that much propane either, so the economics may not make sense.
For just heating a small kitchen, the other ideas are better. I'd try just a small electric heater with a fan, you can get them for $25 at Walmart. I have one here that I used on my boat. Or the parabolic radiant type, which heats what it's pointed at. How well that works in a kitchen IDK. It works great if you're in one spot and it's aimed at you. Costco has them.

How about a heat lamp? Radiant heat - about 150 watts. WSillwarm you and surfaces, not air si is quite effective.
On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 15:11:41 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I was thinking moe the reflector flood type bulbs used in bathrooms - or "brooder lamps" used to keepchicks warm on the farm.
Like the 250 watt ones: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-250-Watt-120-Volt-BR40-Incandescent-Heat-Lamp-Light-Bulb-416743/202768698
Aladdin lamp
On 12/29/2018 07:41 AM, Thomas wrote:

Those are kerosene, silly.
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 30 Dec 2018 00:48:43 -0500, Clare Snyder

It seemed really hard to get kerosene in baltimore when I needed some a couple years ago. Some hardware stores sold one-quart cans, and there was a place on the far east side, but when I used the gallon I bought there, I wanted a place closer. Google gave a bunch of hits, none of which actually had kerosene. Finally found a gas station not too far that sold it, and a couple years later they remodeled the station closest to me where I usually buy gas, and they have a full=size pump for it. Of course now I don't need any more. I don't remember the price.

Just use #1 diesel. Stinks a bit more, but won't hurt the burner.

#1 diesel isn't that easy to find anymore either. Truck stops have switched to winter blend and don't have a separate pump unless you're in some paradise like North Dakota.
On 1/1/19 2:08 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

The fuel stations in my area stock winter blend. I wonder if farm supply stores would still carry kerosene.
On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 11:13:06 -0600, Dean Hoffman

You know you are going to need the stuff back in september. What's wrong with planning ahead?????????
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 01 Jan 2019 03:08:27 -0500, Clare Snyder

The first time it was recommended to clean the gas tank of a 40 year old, at the time, motorcycle, so that's why I got it.
I got the cycle running for a little bit, but ended up giving it to a guy at the local big cycle store. (I had gotten it for free from a friend.) The week after I gave it away I found a mini-scooter in the woods near my house. From one extreme to the other. It was damaged in several places, and police said they had no Missing report on it but would let me know if they got one. I finally gave up on cleaning its carburetor 2 years ago -- a new one was cheap =- but haven't installed the new one yet. No kerosene needed.
I dont' remember what later uses of the kerosene were for, but not burning if I recall at all correctly.

Interesting suggestion. Never thought of that!

On Friday, December 28, 2018 at 1:05:59 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

I guess it's all in what you're used to. We're having an unseasonably warm 50 F day here in southeast Michigan, so the furnace is off and the windows are open. Tomorrow will be a perfectly average 32 F, so the windows will be closed and the furnace will be on.
It would take me the rest of my natural life to get used to your climate, and I'd be miserable and cowering in the air conditioning the whole time.
Can't help you with your space heating problem; electricity is more expensive than gas here. Even more expensive than propane, I think.
Cindy Hamilton
On 12/28/2018 01:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It's pretty much a toss for me. I use a space heater at night because the furnace sounds like a B-52 struggling for altitude. Considering the base charges for the electric service, the price per kwh is actually a lot less than in the summer :)