Tree Advice

-snip-

My mind caught up a bit and I remembered it was the highway between Yorktown and Newport News [not Norfolk] that had all the Dogwoods I remember from 1971. They were growing in the median with no shade. Check for different varieties- apparently they don't all need shade.

Jim [I googled for the highway- it was 17, not 70]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

You could get a multiple variety apple tree, so pollination is not a problem. They have 2, 3, or more varieties grafted onto one tree. You have to be careful not to prune off tthe main branch of each variety.

Reply to
Bob F

Remember that apple trees have apples. If you are going to harvest them (after doing a little spraying during the season) you have a double good tree. However remember that harvest or not, there will be apples to pick up that were bad or just did not get harvested. I have not experienced it, but I have heard that apples tend to be weak trees and may drop limbs, especially if they are not trimmed.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

Grin, with as many squirrels as we have here, I will probably never see a ripe apple ;-) I can hope though!

Yes, saw that one. But at the size of them, this isn't that much of an issue. Not like the 100ft tall oaks and such all around me! It's even worse on the next block. Basically if you were to 'Google earth' of my area, you see trees and the occasional roof. Mine is one of the roofs you can see, partly occluded by neighbor trees.

We are also looking at redfern. Might be just right!

Reply to
cshenk

Do those little emigrant bastards eat apples as well? I'm sending them back on the first ship to Boston. :)

Reply to
Clot