treated wood on sills

I have framed about 98% of my basement (1300sqft)and did not use any treated wood. I used ujntreated 2x4's throughout and ramset the 2x4 into the floor about every 16 inchs and ramset the 2x4's into the the concrete walls about every 16 inch apart on the horizontal and about 3 feet apart on the vertical (basically I have a tic-tac-toe design in the framing with two studs going horizontal in the back of the uprights). The walls will also be secured into the rafters. I did put a vapor barrier and I will be using the moisture resistant insulation.

My question is: Do I need to rip out all the 2x4 on the concrete floor and replace them with treated wood?

Once the work is done I will use a dehumidifier in the summer. I live in Chicago if that means anything.

Thanks!

Reply to
goose22

You can treat the wood with Cuprinol solution letting it wick in and under your 2 x 4's any place where moisture will likely be present. That should make it impervious the cellulose eating molds and such. Read the label and follow directions. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Before pressure treaded wood was available, millions of homeowners did exactly what you did and never had a problem. While PT may be better, I don't think it is needed in most cases. Keep the basement dry and you should be good for many happy years of use.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My question is: Do I need to rip out all the 2x4 on the concrete floor and replace them with treated wood?

Once the work is done I will use a dehumidifier in the summer. I live in Chicago if that means anything.

I am no real athority on this, but I always use treated wood where ever it touches concrete. I thought treated wood gaurded against rot, but recently read that that is not the case. The reason for treated wood is to prevent insect infestation; termites, ants, etc. It does nothing to retard rotting. This came from an article on lumber, saw mills, and was in a building magazine. Was a surprise to me.

Reply to
Bob