Toyota keys (why do they lock themselves in the car?)

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 16:17:57 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I know that now. That's exactly what the tow truck driver did when I called him. Was *I* embarrassed. You betcha!
Warning! Always wear ANSI approved safety goggles when reading posts by Checkmate! In article <asWdnb01MfeI-1TEnZ2dnUU7-

My ex once called for a tow because her car wouldn't start. She didn't have it in park. LOL.
I used to get service calls where people would say their circuit was dead. I'd ask them over the phone if they checked the breaker, because I feel bad if I have to drive all the way out there, flip a breaker, and then charge them a minimum $60. I'd even explain to them that you can't just push it to the on position if it's tripped, you have to push it all the way to off first to cock the mechanism inside, and then to on. They'd always insist that they did all that, so I'd get out there, and at least half a dozen times, all I had to do was exactly what they had insisted they had already done.
I remember one poor secretary who was afraid her boss would get mad at her when he found out it was just a tripped breaker, so I had to be a little creative when I wrote up the invoice.
--
Another hand-crafted post from...
Checkmate
On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 16:25:38 -0700, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

Heh. At least I made certain of that first before I called.

I learned *that* a long time ago. I always push it back and forth several times before I call for help.

Yep. People are just darn stubborn and can't believe it is that simple.

That was kind of you. :-)
Warning! Always wear ANSI approved safety goggles when reading posts by Checkmate! In article <8L6dnZl7j_LkN1TEnZ2dnUU7-

What's done is done. She has a problem, and got it fixed... that's all her boss needed to know. I'm sure he didn't hire her to be a secretary/electrician. I showed her how to do it in case she ever had to again, and life goes on. Hopefully, her boss wasn't some tyrant.
Down time costs money too if you're running a business. I got a call from a USPS sorting facility one night, because they had a sorting machine that was manned by eight employees, and it quit unexpectedly. When I got there, there were suits running around all over the place, and they were absolutely frantic, which meant I'd better get that machine back up ASAP... no pressure there!
It turned out to be a simple problem... a burned connection on a power transformer, except that it was twenty feet in the air. They had their own scissorlift, so I had them back in business in about an hour.
What I didn't tell them, was that I took the cover off the transformer while it was hot, because I didn't want to shut off any more shit until I knew what was going on. As I removed the cover, it came pretty damned close to touching the live 480 volt primary terminals inside. It wouldn't have shocked me, but it would have made for some spectacular fireworks and an arc burn on my hands. I forget what I charged them, but it probably wasn't enough.
--
Another hand-crafted post from...
Checkmate
On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 19:57:05 -0700, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

Well, ya know, secretaries have to be multi-faceted, sometimes.

Heh.

Good job!

More than likely. Reminds me of the time when I worked for a newspaper in the distribution department. We had a machine that inserted *slicks* into the main paper after it came off the presses. It would shut down now and then (it was old, built in the 1930s) and if we couldn't get it to work we'd have to hand insert. (Tedious job that). I calmly went to the plug, pulled it out and put it back in. Magically, the machine started up again. (My husband taught me that.)It didn't always work but it was certainly worth the try.
Warning! Always wear ANSI approved safety goggles when reading posts by Checkmate! In article <ZYKdnS_VTeNV7VfEnZ2dnUU7-V-

Like mysterious computer problems. Most of them can be fixed with a simple reboot.
--
Another hand-crafted post from...
Checkmate
On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 09:22:58 -0700, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

Indeed. I've learned to NOT panic until I've tried a reboot a couple of times. Mostly (so far) that's worked for me.
Warning! Always wear ANSI approved safety goggles when reading posts by Checkmate! In article <-tydnZIXuIQVFVfEnZ2dnUU7-N-

It's when you get the dreaded BSOD that it's time to panic.
--
Another hand-crafted post from...
Checkmate
On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 12:55:17 -0700, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

Indeed. That's only happened to me once.
Warning! Always wear ANSI approved safety goggles when reading posts by Checkmate! In article <g_GdnbVBMY_LUVbEnZ2dnUU7-R-

The computer I use now is very stable. It's on a UPS and runs 24/7. I put 32 Gigs of RAM in it, and it can handle virtually anything. I'd hate to have anything go wrong with it with all the crap I've added over the years.
--
Another hand-crafted post from...
Checkmate
says...

No shit? Would you happen to have any pictures of that?
--
Another hand-crafted post from...
Checkmate
says...

You should stream it on the Interweb. I'd pay to see that. Not much, but I'd pay.
--
Another hand-crafted post from...
Checkmate
On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 09:43:33 -0700, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

My computer is my lifeline to my family and the world. I would hate for anything to happen to it. It's relatively new (2 years old) so it just keeps chugging along. Hopefully for a while yet.
On 9/27/2017 5:12 PM, pandora wrote:

Computers have come a long way from the 8088, 386, etc. In a few months it was outdated and could not keep up. For most of us doing email and web surfing, even a slow by today's standards is pretty good.
Anyone want to buy a 1200 baud modem?
On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 17:27:54 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Ah, the olden days of dialup. :-)
On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 17:11:46 -0700, % wrote:

I never got into those. My hubby did though. I came ON in 1992 and went directly to newsgroups. They suited me and I've stayed here ever since.
On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 17:36:09 -0700, % wrote:

Like I said, I never used them. It wasn't my thing.
says...

Did you ever run into any swinging Chads?
--
Another hand-crafted post from...
Checkmate
says...

Did you ever type posts with ^G's in them?
--
Another hand-crafted post from...
Checkmate
says...

The Source. I used to troll there before they invented Usenet.