Toyota keys (why do they lock themselves in the car?)

This is a borrowed car the o.p. is asking about. I seriously doubt she is going to be heading to the dealership or reading the manual to over- ride this problem. Evidently she is careless with other people's property and leaves the key in the car and then whines she can't unlock the doors.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

I always lock mine but make sure not to leave anything exposed to make it attractive to a thief. Some women will get out of the car, put their purse in the trunk and leave. Thieves were lurking, saw this and smashed window, opened trunk and stole purse.

I walk in a park and one new years morning got back to the car, guy I knew walked up to his car right next to mine and saw door lock smashed in and case with his cell phone stolen.

Locked older cars are easy to steal. Wife lost her 10 year old Mazda 20 years ago while attending a ballet lesson in a mall parking lot with car locked and directly under a street lamp. It was found 3 days later on cinder blocks in a bad part of town. The only part not taken was the old radio. Tires and spare were gone as was everything under the hood.

I think most newer cars will not work without the key as the keys have chips and while thief may start car, it will not keep running so if there is nothing to steal then not locking may be OK.

Reply to
Frank

I'm not going to condemn her just yet. How long before the doors lock? She may have been in view of the car and just got out for a short time to get the mail, lock the house, get the shopping bag or some other simple thing we've all done. Leaving the key under those circumstances is not careless at all. Self locking would be a surprise for most of us that don't have that "feature" I don't want my car to be my nanny.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Does her car start with a fob? My car has a fob. No key in the common form we all grew up with... it's a magical fob, with its very own fob docking hole. If you don't have your fob, you aren't going anywhere, and you have to go directly to a BMW dealer to get a new fob, and they're expensive... because they're fobs, after all.

Reply to
Checkmate, DoW #1

'16 Toyo Avalon Limited doesn't have a docking hole; fob just needs to be in/near the car.

Reply to
Feckless John

Same with my Genesis and it knows if the fob is out of the car by inches too. If you leave the fob in the car you cannot lock the doors from the outside either.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Our new Subaru won't start without a fob, but it has no 'docking hole'. As long as you have it in your pocket the car will start when you push the button. Also, you have to push the button (on the fob) to lock /unlock the doors once you exit the vehicle.

Reply to
Bill (not Jillians) DOW #3

If someone is carjacking, they're not a republican.

Republicans typically own businesses and congress-critters so they can bilk the taxpayers out of billions with dirty under-the-table deals.

Reply to
Bill

Yeah, my fob has lock and unlock buttons, but it has a little hole you put it in before you press the start button. I don't know if it'll still start if I keep my fob in my fob pocket. I've never tried that, but I doubt it. Isn't it weird that Levi Strauss was making pants with a little fob pocket long before fobs even existed? The man was a visionary.

Reply to
Checkmate, DoW #1

My new Mazda hatchback has a key fob to start the car. It can be left in my pants pocket or my purse and it still starts the car as long as it's in the car. Unless the battery in the key fob dies and then nothing which happened to me recently. Changed the battery and all was good.

Reply to
pandora

If it happens again, try holding the fob right next to the start button. If the battery is weak it may give enough signal to get the car started so you can go to the battery store for a new one.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I know that now. That's exactly what the tow truck driver did when I called him. Was *I* embarrassed. You betcha!

Reply to
pandora

Depending on the car, you have to place the fob in a certain place. The Toyota I have is next to the start button. There is a coil in the button ( place for fob) and the fob that acts similar to a transformer and will power up the system so you can start the car if the battery is dead.

Normally the car will start if you just have the fob in your pocket. I never take it out of my pocket to start my Toyota or open the doors or trunk. A touch in the right place on the door handle will unlock or lock the car. A push on a button on the trunk will unlock the trunk if you have the fob on you .

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That hole is probably the 'emergency start hole'. If the battery in the fob is dead you put the fob in that hole. By a type of transformer action the fob will get enough power to activate the start system. The fob should work if the battery is good just being in you pocket.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

On 25-Sep-17 10:53 AM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote: ...

Can't read the manual, even? Give me a break...

It didn't say for how long of a loan; I inferred more than for just an afternoon or it wouldn't have been an issue worth raising; would've already returned it.

If asked, it's a problem; why not do what can to solve it?

And again, there can be very good reasons to have left the keys in...while not the usual instance, on the farm I rarely take the keys out of anything, ever. OTOH, if I go to the store in town I do take them. I'd be exceedingly upset if I went out to the tractor the next morning and it had locked itself up on me, or one of the trucks...

Like real estate, "context!, context!" matters.

Reply to
dpb

My ex once called for a tow because her car wouldn't start. She didn't have it in park. LOL.

I used to get service calls where people would say their circuit was dead. I'd ask them over the phone if they checked the breaker, because I feel bad if I have to drive all the way out there, flip a breaker, and then charge them a minimum $60. I'd even explain to them that you can't just push it to the on position if it's tripped, you have to push it all the way to off first to c*ck the mechanism inside, and then to on. They'd always insist that they did all that, so I'd get out there, and at least half a dozen times, all I had to do was exactly what they had insisted they had already done.

I remember one poor secretary who was afraid her boss would get mad at her when he found out it was just a tripped breaker, so I had to be a little creative when I wrote up the invoice.

Reply to
Checkmate, DoW #1

Nope. It's a brand new fob directly from BMW. You push the fob into a hole, and it locks in place. Then you push the start button directly above it. You can't even remove the fob unless you stop the engine first, and then push the fob inwards, which causes a release mechanism to let go of it. I tried to start the car today without putting the fob in the fob hole, but it won't start unless you fob-f*ck it first.

Reply to
Checkmate, DoW #1

Aside from unlocking the door, it is just a fancy electronic key. Mine never comes out of my pocket even to lock and unlock doors. If the doors ar locked, I can open it just standing in back of the car. That has been very handy..

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The date is 25/09/2017 05:13

Thanks for finding that. It's the same model and year. I thought the borrowed car was a Corolla but it's a 2005 Camry LE (not a Corolla).

I still have the borrowed car, and I found the owners manual in the glovebox which talks about the transponder in the key causing the car to immobilize and that the doors automatically lock under most conditions (it was confusing what conditions they were).

Even though it's very confusing what causes the car to automatically lock, it's clear that it does that.

In this case, there are three "things" that are on the keyring.

  1. The key (which is a non-chip all metal duplicate key) & is mandatory
  2. The immobilizer (which is mandatory & must be "near" to start the car)
  3. The automatic unlock/lock doohickey (this is optional)

When I leave the car, the doors automatically lock. Apparently that's how Toyota has it set up.

I don't know if that setting can be changed to NOT lock the car, but what it means, in the end, is that you can never just leave the keys in the car when you park it overnight - which is what I normally do with all my own cars and everyone in my family does the same.

Out here, we don't lock our cars and we leave the keys in the tray overnight, but we also live in a very safe area and we don't do that when we go shopping and park at the malls.

Reply to
June Bug

The date is 25/09/2017 08:41

We live in a safe area where I've been here 30 years and I've been leaving my keys in the car overnight in the tray along with my glasses for that whole time.

I don't know of ever a house being robbed or a car being stolen in all that time. Maybe it happened, but nobody here even locks their houses since I know most of the neighbors. When I knock, they say "come on in" and I just push the door open. Never once do I remember one being locked except the new people who recently moved in.

We have a long-standing joke that only the new people lock their doors. It takes them a few years to learn that locked doors aren't needed. :)

If there is a way to REMOVE that autolock feature of the Camry 2005 LE, that would be useful for my friend!

Reply to
June Bug