Towel Rods Fixed!

Hi,

Well here it is January and I posted about this problem back in July so I guess I procrastinated a little bit! But I actually fixed our towel rods and I am pretty happy with myself for being able to do this project.

So in case anyone else is in the same predicament, here is what I did to fix the problem.

Problem : Towel rods kept getting pulled out of wall due to people leaning on the rod and the plastic anchors were not sufficient to keep them in place. Relocating was not an option because of recent wall paper job.

Solution : Toggle Bolts! I had enough sheet rock left to work with that I was able to slip 1/8 by 2 inch toggle bolts into the existing holes and then I was able to fasten the clip securely to the wall and get a much more secure connection.

I'm sure if someone puts full weight on it it will come out again but hopefully they will stay put for a while.

I am not exactly Mr. fixit so any time I am able to do one of these little projects I am pretty happy about it.

Thanks for the tips back in July!

Steve

Reply to
szeik

If you've got people leaning hard enough on your towel racks that they'd pull togle bolts out of the wall, you might as well just screw a

1/2" piece of plywood to the studs, prime and paper that, and mount the towel rack on that!
Reply to
nhurst

I agree. Mounting anything to drywall, espically in a bathroom, is questionable.

Reply to
scott21230

Congratulations.

I just wanted you to know that I plan to film the next version of "MIssion Impossible" in your house. And we'll be using the towel rod as a means of escaping to the attic, during one of the action scenes.

This will work perfectly because we plan to have the star push the female co-star into the attic, and then for him to step on the towel rod, which will collapse just as he is leaping up to join her in the attic.

Rest assured that you will be adequately reimbursed for any damage caused, in addition to the large fee we have negotiated with your wife for use of the house.

Sincrerely,

Big-shot producer

Reply to
mm

Steve, Perhaps you should relocate the towel rack to an area where people aren't likely to lean on it in the first place. Perhaps a rack or two on the back of the door? If people are drying off and need to lean on something, perhaps locate a hamper there. Also we store our fresh towels on a shelf over the toilet. Just some thoughts.... Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Gardiner

"Gerry Gardiner" in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

yeah, covering the rod in barbed wire or glass shards would dissuade leaning, but might damage the towels. :-)

Reply to
Choise76Smu

ROFL!

You would think I was doing a mission impossible the way I waited 6 months to do this little project and all the research I did on it before I finally just went in and tried something.

Here is an update to the towel rod project which is kind of heart warming.

I get home from work the night I fixed the towel rods and our 4 year old daughter comes running out of her bedroom and says "Thanks for fixing the towel rods daddy!". My wife said that earlier that evening she was looking at them asking who had fixed them and was kind of astonished that it was me and kept asking how I did it!!! She even gave my wife a thumbs up sign indicating her approval of the repair.

So somebody is impressed with my home improvement skills! :)

Steve

Reply to
szeik