Wind electric generation question

Any good moderate priced systems for generating electricity? Something big enough to supply minimal current to a house?

We get substantial winds here, and in April we usually lose power for a day due to winds and ice, so it would be good to have enough power to keep the furnace on at least.

Reply to
Jim-Poncin

Minimal? Definition please. Moderately priced? Like under 10 grand?

Most wind systems are in the 12 -24-48 volt DC varity and less than a 1000 watts. So you need batteries and a inverter to get started.

I have a friend that has 2 - 400 watt towers and 3- 600 watt towers. He has over $5k in the batteries and inverter set up. He says typically the tower deliver a constant 30-40% of rated power in his situation. He did a wind study before for a year he jumped into the project. He also has a 400kw generator for when the system does not produce enough power. Which is frequently.

I applaud your thoughts. A generator is a whole lot cheaper.

Reply to
SQLit

This may not be what you are seeking but it will put you in the right = territory Air Marine Tower Kit

--=20 PDQ

-- "Jim-Poncin" wrote in message = news:j4ODf.8911$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net... | Any good moderate priced systems for generating electricity? Something = big=20 | enough to supply minimal current to a house? |=20 | We get substantial winds here, and in April we usually lose power for = a day=20 | due to winds and ice, so it would be good to have enough power to keep = the=20 | furnace on at least. |=20 |

Reply to
PDQ

I was thinking a similar thing. People usually get wind generators as a technical curiosity - not to save money. If you are just after back up power, you would be better off getting a generator or battery backed ups. A propane heater would be the cheapest option to heat your house without electricity.

Reply to
ben.aust

alt energy.homepower is a good place to ask

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Bob

the type that feeds the power back to the ine shut off automatically when the power company fails.

the others wouldnt provide enough power and the batteries will cost more than the power the hold. my best friend has a planbt since 1960 he calls it his curosity:(

14 foot blades, 18 mariune batteries running both 12 and 24 volt, with some solar panels too.

all basically not worth the effort:(

Reply to
hallerb

"Jim-Poncin" wrote in news:j4ODf.8911$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I did some research into this a year ago. I concluded the only source of backup power which is affordable is a gas fired generator. All the other options are extremely expensive.

Permanently installed residential generator sets are not inexpensive. You could easily spend ten thousand dollars or more by the time you bought the unit and hardware required to install it. Natural gas would be my first choice for a fuel, propane would be number two.

I consider portable generators dangerous for too many reasons to list.

Reply to
Bedford Guy