Top piece of shower diverter is stuck in the pipe

I have three handles in my tub and shower, hot, cold and the diverter. The water in the shower was coming out the tub spout and shower head at the same time so I decided to take the diverter out. I unscrewed the diverter from the pipe but the top part of the diverter stayed stuck in the pipe. The top part of the diverter seemed like it is wedged in and immobile. I tried turning the water on full blast to force it out and it was still wedged in. Then I tried picking at it with needle nosed pliers and it is still stuck in there.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it out?

CP

Reply to
CJ