Tool gloat

I got my cement mixer hooked up the other day by stealing the 1 hp motor from my band saw. Just to get it running. I didn't like the looks of it, and wondered how well it would do with 180# of wet concrete in it. Plus, I can't use the saw and the mixer at the same time.

Put an ad on freecycle.org, and had an e mail the same day. The lady was divorced, and it was laying around the garage for a couple of years. Got a Dayton 1 1/2 hp motor for free. I had a bunch of 7-11 free coupons for large Slurpees that my daughter, a LEO, got for free, so I gave them to her for her kids. This thing weighs about three times as much as the 1 hp, and I KNOW this will handle it. The current motor hangs there, the weight of the motor keeps the belt on the top larger pulley. This weighs so much, I may have to put an allthread so it tensions, but doesn't just hang there and stretch the belt. So, I can put the saw motor back in place, and get the mixer going and do my awning.

I love freecycle.org, and would suggest you check it out. There are lots of baby clothes, and worthless junk, but when you want something, there's always a chance. And when you want to dump stuff, it usually disappears quickly and people come and pick it up.

Steve

read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at:

Steve B

Congrats.

I love a good tool gloat.

re: "The current motor hangs there...I may have to put an allthread so it tensions"

I assume you plan to somehow leave some slack so the motor can "bounce" if need be, right?

I know that the motor on my belt-drive table saw wants to move a bit on startup and the "hanging" allows it to move freely.

P.S. My own gloat - The full size 10" table saw - with 2 table extensions - was $100 in a Saturday Super Ad. That's absolutely the best value for $100 I've ever received. Heck, I spent $60 just for the rolling base I added to it! That's 60% of the cost of the whole saw!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"DerbyDad03" wrote

I assume you plan to somehow leave some slack so the motor can "bounce" if need be, right?

I may just put a nut on the allthread on the bottom side of the mounting plate so that it can bounce upward, but have a stopper if it bounces down too hard. Either that, or just get a spring and a turnbuckle so it can be adjustable. I just don't want the whole weight of that big of a motor hanging on the belt.

A friend of mine got a BIG Rockwell with side wings and huge base the other day for $60. It took three of us to horse it into the truck. The guy just wanted it gone. It didn't work, though. Of course, it didn't work. One of the wires was loose in the wire nut! The blade was new. If you have cash, you can make some smoking deals on tools these days.