Toilet puzzle

Wondering where the water goes with a very small leak from the flapper. I'm puzzling whether it goes to the washdown holes on the top or to the siphon jet on the bottom. Running down the sides from the washdown holes would cause a mineral buildup but down below would only lose water. Just wondering from a diagnostic standpoint as leaks have to be fixed either way.

Reply to
Blue

Add a little something to color the water in the tank and see where the color shows up. I'd hesitate to use food coloring (might stain the bowl), but one of those toilet blocks for keeping the bowl clean would work - just don't flush after putting it in the tank until after your test. If the water in the bowl starts coloring up before you can tell where it's coming from, you can always dump a bucket of water in the bowl to wash away the tinted water.

I'm sure that there are dyes that you can purchase that are designed just for such experiments, but I wouldn't know where to find them.

Later, Mike (substitute strickland in the obvious location to reply directly)

----------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@att.net

Please send all email as text only - HTML mail is automatically filtered to the trash and I might not catch it.

Reply to
Michael Strickland