Toilet overflow tube replacement

While replacing a fill valve for a two piece American Standard toilet my assistant managed to put pressure on the overflow tube instead. Hearing a distinct "crack" sound alerted me to expect another problem. Expectation confirmed when the tank slowly kept draining causing the fill cycle to repeat.

I'm guessing that repair will require shutting off the supply, disconnecting supply line, removing tank, and finally removing any locking rings to remove the tube assembly. I'm expecting a straight-forward operation. Any surprises to watch out for. Any suggestions regarding steps commonly overlooked?

The current tube assembly was plastic. Should I stay with that or is there any advantage to using metal?

Thanks.

Reply to
Jim

You should be able to replace the overflow tube without removing the tank. Use a sharp awl to crack the remaining thread of the tube and twist out the stub with pliers.

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

I'm picturing this as a one piece assembly. Are they instead a press fit?

Reply to
Jim

The old-time brass ones were threaded together. Without seeing your plastic one, I'd bet the tube is glued or heat-welded to the base.

You have to tank the tank off. Then there is a big but underneath the tank that holds the flush valve assy in. Being plastic, the nut should come off easily. There is a rubber gasket between the *inside* of the tank and the flush valve. There is also a rubber cushion gasket between the tank and the bowl; that won't come with tthe new flush valve, so be sure to pick one up. Different mfr's used different gaskets; take the old one along.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim