Toilet Handles

  • posted

I have an American Standard Cadet(4310) toilet in a rental and the tenants just broke their second of those cheap, plastic Taiwan handles.

I would replace it with a generic metal handle but there are three problems; the hole in the tank is square, the flapper chain is beaded rather than link, and the arm is offset 45 degreees to the handle. I can change the flapper too, but I can't get past that 45 degree offset.

Does anyone know an online source for American Standard parts? If all else fails, I suppose I could get a metal handle and try bending the arm, but that would be hit-and-miss at best.

John

Reply to
John~

Perhaps visit a real plumbing supply house? They still exist and most actually have knowledgeable employees unlike the "home centers".

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Visited two--they don't have American Standard parts at all...

John

Reply to
John~

I used a kohler handle and it was a serious up grade. It has a real bearing and shaft probably will out live me, I'm pretty sure it was a square hole that I put it in. I was going through those plastic ones in around 2 years.

Eric in North TX

The part you want is called a trip lever. Many places sell them online. Look here:

Abe

Goddamn renters! Give 'em a string to attach to the flapper.

Good enough for their grandpa, good enough for them. Tell 'em they break the chain, you'll remove the toilet.

If a hole in the floor is good enough for 1 billion Chinese....

Reply to
HeyBub