Toilet Installation - American Standard Cadet 3

I installed an American Standard Cadet 3 toilet. Works fine, but the gasket that came with is the softer sponge type. Because of the wider (3") tank-to-bowl opening, there are only 2 bolts, one on each side of the tank. Because there is no bolt in the back, when I turn the nuts on the bolts, the tank doesn't seat evenly front-to-back. As a result, the tank is tilted a little toward the front. The back of the bowl has ridges on which the tank is supposed to seat, and I have not quite reached the front ridge.

I am reluctant to continue because of the crackling sound as I tighten the bolts. The guy at Lowes said he has installed several of these toilets, and you can continue to crank on the bolts until you are porcelain on porcelain. He said he has heard the sound and it can make you nervous, but the bowl won't crack unless you are cranking down whrn the tank and bowl are touching.

He also said that the front part of the tank will touch the front seating ridge first, and that I should continue to tighten. He said that the back will automatically level if I keep tightening, but that I have to stop once the back touches.

I know the gasket has a lot more ploy in it, but I have never installed one of these before. Does anyone have experience with this particular toilet?

Reply to
celticsoc

K Sims