Brand new American Standard Toilet leaks (Williamsburg)

Hi All: I just bought a toilet and tank from Home Depot (Williamsburg Collection) and installed it. I noticed that a very fine leak was flowing into the toilet bowl, emptying the tank in the process.

So I returned the defective tank and got a new one from the store. However, it still has the exact same problem as the one i returned. Some other things I have done:

  • Balanced the tank so that it is even keel
  • Applied plumbers grease to the flapper valve

For a brand new tank, this is a lot of problem. Is there anything that I could do to fix this?

Your advice will be very helpful, thanks in advance.

Manju

Reply to
ThinkNotes

plumbers grease to the flapper? thats a new one and a mistake.

Reply to
m Ransley

Frequently the float needs to be adjusted on new units. Check it out, the water may be comming from the overflow tube.

Reply to
Lou W

Thanks for your help....the overflow tube appears to be dry, since the water level is below the top of the float tube. How should I adjust the float (which is the little foam piece that floats right above the flapper valve, right?)

I also called American Standard and they said that perhaps there was a pinhole leakage in the flush valve, so they are sending me a brand new valve assembly (with a new float attached to it). Dont know if that will work, but am keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks, Manju

Reply to
ThinkNotes