Toilet Handle Location - New Home

[Sorry for the cross-post. Wasn't sure which group is best.]

On the final walk-through of our new home today, I noticed all of our toilet flush handles are rather hard to get to.

Could somebody that knows more than me take a look at these pictures and see if these look installed correctly with the correct parts? I'm talking about how the handle is obscured almost completely by the lid.

Here's the labels of the toilets (Made by Vortens, Seat by Bemis) and how it looks with the lid down:

And here's a toilet in the model home which shows much more clearance (I think due to a different tank model):

So, is the seat too big? Is the handle placed incorrectly? Does the smaller tank not match the rest of the toilet? Am I crazy for even thinking about this?

I'm going to stop by Home Depot tomorrow, but I figured I'd get better answers from you guys.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Blake

Note: the email listed works. It's just throw-away to cut down on spam. Check out sneakemail.com for details.

Reply to
Me

Yup

Reply to
Chas Hurst

=============================================================== Hi Blake,

The tanks are different--Yours appears to be narrower & shorter than the one in the model house. Talk to the builder--Bring him the pictures and put them side by side. Tell him that you want the same tanks that are in the model home.

RON

*************************************************************** Ron Goldstein.....KA2IIA STAY YOUNG---DRIVE A VINTAGE 427 CORVETTE. KEEP YOUR MIND ACTIVE---BECOME AN AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR. REMEMBER, THERE ARE NO STRANGERS IN AMATEUR RADIO, ONLY FRIENDS THAT WE HAVE NOT YET MET. snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net****** snipped-for-privacy@arrl.net
Reply to
Ron Goldstein

Your tank is smaller, so the handle is closer in.

Yes!

Think of it as a "feature"!!! You won't get all that icky spray when you flush because the seat has to be down to get to the handle!

Honestly though... don't assume that you will get everything the same as what you find in the model home. Be sure to ask what is standard and what is upgraded in the model.

Reply to
Noozer

Reply to
Steven Bliss

I'd just reach behind and flush..As I do this now, it doesn't bother me a bit.

Can't for the life of me wonder why anyone would think this is a problem?

Reply to
Genenco

Hard telling from the pictures. Why don't you measure how wide the seat and tank are on both installations and see which is wider. My bet is the tank is wider in the model.

You are probably crazy, but it does look to be a bit of an inconvenience to have the handle so hidden by the seat. I for one don't always put the lid down (OK, I've been TRAINED to put the SEAT down by 20+ yrs of marrage and two daughters, but not hte lid!)

Reply to
mwlogs

Thanks for the help!

The toilets in the model aren't upgraded, just different.

I think we're just going to have to live with it unless we can get their plumber to say he installed a mis-matched tank.

Oh well.

Reply to
Me

Take a look at:

Under the "Products" link: Vienna RF W/Tank 404

It looks like they offer the tanks in 10", 12", and 14" specs. It doesn't say whether height or width. Either way the handle should be higher or further to the side on the higher widths/heights.

-- Adrian Reedy - Dallas, Texas adrian-at-airmail-dot-net

Reply to
Adrian R.

well i just installed a new toilet, as the old one broke,,, and yes yours look just about right.. the handle on the new one seems like it is not set out far enough, but it is and it works fine.. is the set too big??? on mine it does not look right also, but it is and it just takes time to get used to the changed look.. the 1.6 toilets dont look normal, we are used to looking at bigger toilets and it will take some time when someone sees an old toilet and says, hey look at that toilet it looks too big, what did they use them for in the olden days?????

Reply to
jim

that depends on how fat your ass is.

Is the handle placed incorrectly? Does the

Reply to
Phil Scott

I was thinking a while back after my Albuequeque girlfriend went ballistic one morning after dipping her ass in the pond...that I might provide a set of handles low on the bowl so she she could jack herself out without all the noise.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

Ok Ive reveiwed your dillema.. find short piece of shingle or a door frame wedge, then using a high quality duct tape.......

Reply to
Phil Scott

I do not see the issue. Once you put the lid down, the handle is perfectly accessible.

Sincerely,

Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E. Worthington Engineering, Inc.

145 Greenglade Avenue Worthington, OH 43085-2264

snipped-for-privacy@worthingtonNSengineering.com (remove NS to use the address)

614.937.0463 voice 208.975.1011 fax

Don Phillips

I have read the entire thread...and all I can say is wow....

Dont ever buy a home we installed a heating and cooling system in..you might not like where the electrical supply comes out of the main panel hiden behind the wall...or the thermostat location....or well...I figure you might not even like the way the electrican put in the light switches....particularly if he upgraded to something different than the basic toggle...

Reply to
CBhvac

best.]

all of our

these pictures

parts? I'm

by the lid.

Bemis) and

more clearance

incorrectly? Does the

for even

I'd get better

down on

Just be thankful, Me . . .

. . . that you don't have a pull knob centered side-to-side and front-to-back on the lid of your toilet tank. That would really throw you. Especially, if you try to reach it while remaining seated, and don't really know where it is.

The top-mounted pull best serves those European johns that you have to stand up and swab the bowl with those little mops they supply. It is easy to reach the knob and pull it up repeatedly. Doesn't matter if you are right or left handed, as it plays no favorites, being in the center. Just don't tell the PC squad, or they will federally mandate it just to not show favoritism.

Equally difficult to fathom is the push button on the upper-end toilets of circa 60's vintage. They are on the side, about half way back. Try reaching back on your own toilet, pretend there is a dime size button sticking out about 7/16" and requiring at least 7.2 lbs. of thrust at right angles to and pointed directly at your spine. I'll take that pull knob at the top over that side button any time.

None of the handles, buttons, knobs, etc., are as user friendly and as intuitive as the old pull chain with the nice big porcelain handle. I used one of those one time and never forgot. Only thing more convenient is the little house at the end of the path that had no such contrivance at all.

Jim

Reply to
Js Walker Lazenby Jr

WOW...........great mind DO think alike, huh?

JTMcC.

Or, carry a billy club in your back pocket around the house. You'll be amazed at the number of things you will use it for .

Reply to
JTMcC

I think the shingles and duct tape will not blend with the ambience that these folks are trying to create in their new home.

At the very least, I would think a short piece of aluminum strap and some 1/4_20 nuts and bolts would be required.

best.]

all of our

or a door

You'll be

pictures

parts? I'm

by the lid.

Bemis) and

clearance

Does the

for even

get better

down on

Reply to
DanG

Might want to start closing the lid before flushing. That's the only thing that stops a spray of staph germs from covering everything in the bath up to a 4 foot mark on the wall. If the people who purchased your last home get a black light they can confirm this. _________________________ French Connection:

AJ

That's why we store our toothbrushes inside the medicine cabinet.

Reply to
Baroness Benachi