Tiles fell off in shower

Thanks.. We have a baby sitter, it is not helpful. When my son is at kindergarten school, I am at work. I cannot do anything for more than

5 minutes continuously because of the kid issue. i
Reply to
Ignoramus3408

Now wait.

I am a single mother who raised my son alone from birth. Even in my case, there are naptimes; there are after-bedtimes. Even if there aren't neighbors or relatives willing to take on the child for a day or so. I'm fairly sure you mentioned a spouse? If so, surely you two can tag-team.

I understand about not being able to do certain things at all with a small child underfoot. But I can't believe that the small child has to be *always* underfoot.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I believe that's why they invented velcro, Chinese finger cuffs and rubber mallets. Nap time. Bonk! ;)

RicodJour

Banty, the reality is, him playing with mom does not work out. I do not want to get into details. He goes to bed relatively late (and I have to wake up early) so there is not terribly much time during evenings, for this sort of thing. I am not whining, I would be able to do it, at a relatively high personal cost.

Ignoramus15109

Ignoramus15467 in news:TjKKf.2860$ snipped-for-privacy@fe18.usenetserver.com:

Avoid using real silicone on anything you won't in the future repair by completely removing. "Paintable silicone" caulk is not as strong, but may somewhat adhere to "real" silicone caulk.

Here's how I fixed the exact same trouble in a rental (green drywall over tarpaper over studs. tile adhesive to drywall): Condition: Edge of tub at corner (faucet and exterior walls), tiles falling off, drywall soggy. Remove exposed. Drywall let area dry. Insert 1-by-3 across behind drywall (in the hole) I think I glued it to the back of the drywall, and maybe adhesive to studs? I don't recall. I may have used drywall piece to replace the removed area (since I didn't expect the repair to last long). Be sure the drywall piece does not extend down to the ledge of the tub, else it will soak up water. Prime with good sealer shellac-based should be good (I don't recall if I used oil-based primer or shellac based).

This repair lasted for 3? 5 years? More? I don't recall. Place was sold within

10 years later.

Reset cleaned tile and simultaneously "re-grout" with lots of two-part epoxy, paste-type. Original grout had been white. The epoxy cures to somewhat pale greenish color and semi- gloss. Not worth worrying about, imo.

I did a lesser repair where the same green crap under a small window had become soaked underneath the tile. In that case I simply let the greencrap dry, since it was still strong (and well-backed since it had been laid over the sill framing). Then prime the crap, re attached the tile, and replaced the caulk in the window area.

Reply to
Choise76Smu

" snipped-for-privacy@EhOhEll.Net" in news:Xns977280D23E4789@64.85.239.19:

i forgot a step. i emulated the tarpaper vapor barrier somehow. overlapped with existing tarpaper, I slipped pieces either of tarpaper, or aluminum "flashing"

also forgot the last step. recaulk bottom edge of tiles at tub ledge.

Reply to
Choise76Smu

forgot to mentipn another rental tile on drywall (same era, 70's) soap dish was loose. i dried the drywall, primed, same paste epoxy. it's been good at least 7 years. (i check it often). the rest of the tile is ok, but someone used silicon along the bottom (ledge not aluminum doorframe) so i'm now dealing with that shit.

tile on anything but concrete and silicon (on anything but windows?) should be banned, imo

Reply to
Choise76Smu

Banty wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

PULEESE!!!!!!! You must have a quiet child. If you have a child that is very active you can't do ANYTHING. Always getting into everything they have to be watched all the time. You never know what ideas they will dream up. Mine never took naps. Put her in the crib with the sides pulled up and she climbed out. Go,go,go all day and most of the night. If you have a normal kid you just don't know about these active types.

Reply to
Marina

Marina, mine is somehere in between, I think -- very active, but does sleep soundly.

Ignoramus22178

Oh PULEESE yourself. This is just excusifying.

There's a whole LIST of things that aren't happening to for him to be so limited. I think the OP has painted himself into a corner on this somehow. For instance, how is it he has a babysitter but that's "not helpful". "Not helpful" how?? How is it his spouse is so useless in this regard? Although I'm sure you'll insist he's in some tiny percentage with an active child AND a useless spouse AND no friends AND no neighbors they know AND no relatives nearby AND no vacation time AND a "non-helpful" babysitter.

If it's all such a problem, he can hire someone.

Banty

Reply to
Banty