tie down advice needed

I am building a shed in my backyard and want to build it to code, and I need to have some tie downs for it at each corner.

I could use some mobile home straps that get sunk into the ground, but I sort of prefer to use something like Simpson Strong tie down threaded bolts dirrectly into the concrete pad and then up through some concrete block and them bolt down the sill plates to the rods, but no one in Raleigh NC seems to know about them.

DOes anyone know if you can use regular threaded rods available in hardware stores for the same purpose?

I was also thinking that I could use some kind of steel or iron pipe -

3/4 or 1" size - down through the block, but that is kinda complicated to do.

ANy suggestions on where I can buy this stuff around Raleigh, NC? Reply to the newsgroup - thanks!

Reply to
USENET NEWSREADER

Generic code requirements include connecting building elements from roof down to footing. That includes metal clips from rafter to stud wall assembly; ties or plywood to tie top plate, studs, bottom plate, & joists; straps or bolts to connect wall & floor assemblies to footing. William suggests some practical applications. The Simpson Strong Tie web site shows a lot of connectors for various uses. To meet code one needs to know the required values for wind speed and seismic activity, then to calculate the connectors are chosen by capacity.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

A simple search using the box provided on the Ramset web site yields your answer, here's the search done for you....

Even more amazing, simply typing "ramset glass epoxy hammer" in google yields the same results. Internet searching 101!!!

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.

-- Aldo Leopold

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

Well, what building materials are you using?

J-bolts would work if you haven't poured the slab already.

Then there are RedHeads. A bolt and anchor system. Nice and strong, seen them used in metalbuilding construction. You use a hammer-drill and make the appropriate size hole into the slab. Then you drop in aan epoxy-filled glass tube, then the anchor bolt. You smack the anchor bolt with a hammer, breaking the epoxy tube. Twenty four hour cure.

Come back next day, lay sill plates and go....

Reply to
William

This is interesting and I want to learn more about it. I went to the Red Head Anchoring System web site

and found many types of anchors but no mention of the drop-in epoxy tube. Please elaborate. Thank you.

Daniel B. Martin

Reply to
Daniel B. Martin

Tom Jaszewski wrote: > Even more amazing, simply typing "ramset glass epoxy hammer" in

Neat! Thanks for the information, and thanks for the lesson.

Daniel B. Martin

Reply to
Daniel B. Martin

I have to build the shed on concrete footers, and due to sloping land, I want to use the long bolts (not just the j-bolts) attached to the re-bar in the footer - but it has to run through 1 to 3 7 inch thick concrete blocks, so the rods need to be taller than the average j-bolts.

Any idea where I can find the threaded rods and the stainless fastners in Raleigh? HD and Lowes doesn't have them.

Reply to
USENET NEWSREADER

Try

Wilder's Inc

2406 Alwin Ct Raleigh, NC 27604-1402 (919) 833-2761

Daniel B. Martin

Reply to
Daniel B. Martin

Do codes require tie downs these days? Seems like over kill to me. How big is this "shed". Any thing over 12x12 would not be a shed to me. I have a 12x20 and a 6x8 and they are just sitting on concrete blocks. If the wind is strong enough to blow them away I think that will be the least of my worries - losing the shed and contents.

Reply to
wdukes

Are you building this on a concrete pad or on concrete blocks on top of a concrete footer?

If on a pad, when you pour the pad you insert L-shaped anchor bolts to which the sill is bolted. If on blocks you need to insert some L-shaped rebar long enough to go from the footer up through however many blocks. Once the block work is done you need to wire the L-shaped anchor bolts to the rebar and fill the core with concrete.

The anchor bolts and rebar are in the concrete section at Home Depot or Lowe's. Another option is to use mobile home anchors that you can buy from a mobile home supply store, I think there is one in Garner.

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

I think this is the new hurricane code that went into effect two years ago. Agreed on the overkill, my shed didn't go anywhere during Fran and it's just sitting on the blocks.

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

I know there used to be one on 70 near Garner, a dozen years ago. But there also was one in Raleigh on Tryon Rd., right next to the municipal golfcourse. That also may have morphed into some other retail line...

Reply to
Dweezil Dwarftosser