Thump noise on startup with Maytag dryer

For the last several weeks, maybe 20-30 loads or so, when I start my

15-year-old Maytag dryer, it has made a single thump as it starts.

The noise is exactly like the noise you get if you start a dryer with (for example) a sneaker or a really heavy wet towel or sweater in it. Except I get it even with loads containing no heavy items, and even if I start the dryer when empty.

No performance issues with the dryer. All loads dry nicely and in the usual expected amount of time.

I usually notice odd things right away and don't ever remember hearing this noise until recently. Any ideas what it is?

Reply to
trader-of-some-jacks

Try holding your hand on the back panel of the dryer, then the sides and top. Does it stop if you do so. My guess is one of the panels is flexing as the power comes up.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

hearing

Hi,

A noise is something we cannot hear over a forum like this one, so a guess is about the best we can do. Check the drum baffles inside....one may be loose or acually have something inside making the noise. Fan blower ( on the front end of the motor ) might be another area to check as a worn fan blower will make some odd noises.

No model# posted but this take apart section may help...

Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid