maytag dryer

I have offered to try to fix an acquaintance's dryer, a maytag MDE2300AYW. This dryer is just over a year old (but out of warranty), and I would expect this is a manufacturing defect. She says it "starts up, sounds like a lawnmower (doesn't specify 2-stroke, 4-stroke, mulching...), and shuts off after 30 seconds"

It will restart immediately (still sounding bad) and shut off again.

I would have expected the shutdown to be caused by some kind of overload protection, and I would have expected it to last longer, but...

Does anybody out there have some experience with these dryers, maybe even a similar failure? I have to drive 50 miles to look at this thing, and I figure it will have to be two trips, one to diagnose and a second to show up with needed parts etc, and it would help to have a list of places to look for trouble. Sounds like the motor is involved--sounds like something has basically come apart in the blower or drum drive, but what do I know?

Reply to
donald girod

It is likely the motor cutting out on its overload protector before the motor burns out for good.

The sound may be something caught in the blower fan or the blower is just worn out (common) and slipping on the motor shaft and striking the fan housing. You can see the blower fan used on that dryer at the following link:

Maytag MDE2300AYW Dryer Blower Wheel

Other than that, you'll have to try to determine where the sound is originating from.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to