Thermostat wisdom

One of my favorite stories. I'm sure I read it in Earl Proulx's book. the Yankee Handyman. I looked for it later, but couldn't find it.

Earl had installed a furnace, for an old lady who'd never had a furnace. She kept calling to complain it was too hot, or too cold. Well, she'd think it was too cold, and she'd run the stat up to 95, and then think it was too hot, and back it down to 55. Finally, Earl pulled the sofa out, and ran a new wire, to a new stat, on the baseboard but hidden behind the sofa. Set it for 72, and left the old stat, not wired in. Problem solved.

When my sister was 21 or so, she and her boy friend lived in apartment, front of a building, second floor. The other upstairs guy had the thermostat, and he'd turn it way down before going to work. They would freeze all day, with no heat. They tried talking to him about it, but he kept turning it down. They asked me to pick the lock on his apartment, and make them a key, so they could turn it up while he was gone, and back down before he got home. I refused. I considered running a new wire to a fixed point stat in the common hall, but I never did (not my house, and didn't have permission from the landlord). Just like the old lady, leave the other stat abandonned.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've installed a return air duct thermostat and left the LCD digital on the wall with batteries in it so it looks as though it's working. You can also adjust the offset on digital stats for T-stat Bandits so the display lies. I have used Accustats in the past but they use mercury and I'm not sure if the things are widely available anymore. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I have that problem with a family member who thinks that 70F is a good setting for the A/C. Since I'm the one paying the electric bill I have a second hidden thermostat that overrides the first one.

Reply to
Davej

At one of my church's visitor centers, they used to keep the AC cold enough to really be painful. I asked, one time, why. Well, the HVAC system is under sized, so if a tour bus of people arrive, the place warms right up.

I guess the tour people can't say "We do have AC, but with this many people, it's going to warm up a bit." Folks understand.

One day, I arrived, and find the teenage sister missionaries in a side room. Wearing sweatters, and running a space heater. And suffering with the cold.

.

I have that problem with a family member who thinks that 70F is a good setting for the A/C. Since I'm the one paying the electric bill I have a second hidden thermostat that overrides the first one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Can I join your church? ;->

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Naah, I kept them for myself. You're too late.

.

Can I join your church? ;->

Jon

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Where I worked years ago, the one woman in a small office was always turning the heat up. She had a little thermometer on her desk. She went to lunch one day and we adjusted the glass vial by moving it up two or three degrees. Problem solved, now she was warm enough.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yeah I don't know about that, most of the LDS girls I have run into are fine looking young women, and both their outlook and way of life are a lot more attractive than the degeneracy the media-driven "culture" superimposes on kids these days.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken