The state of our country

Well, "we the voters" allow it to happen because we all get something from it. Have you ever voted against a congressman because he got funding for some project where you live? This is what congressmen really and truly do, they make sure that money flows back to their district.

Nobody sees HVAC, but a new roof sure does look nice...

Say nothing and appeal your assessment if you don't like it.

mrsgator88

Very true.

mrsgator88

That is allowed and one purpose of re-evaluation, to keep things "fair" according to real value. I'm talking about the same house. One day it is assessed at $100k, then next it may be $200k, as may be all the other houses in town doubled. If the town budget is the same, the mill rate will be lowered to reflect the changes.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

things are great here too.

Reply to
ditto

The five. Taxes should be REgressive, not PROgressive. The poor use more governemental services (usually), so why shouldn't they pay more? In your examples above, the rich (can) have their own security guards, send their children to non-government schools, buy whatever books they need, and are almost never found in night court or prison. The affluent don't get food stamps, rent supplements, or government health care, use subsidized public transportation, or receive the "earned income tax credit."

The rich should pay SOME taxes: they do take advantage of national security and, uh, roads.

Reply to
HeyBub