The Garage

I'm new to this whole homeowner thing and one item that has me stumped is whether or not I should write off my garage.

I took a tape measure and my garage door is 8 feet wide. My Ranger is 6 1/2 feet wide. Common sense would indicate that I can put my truck in the garage. But I'm looking at it and thinking to myself, "there's no way in hell that this truck'll fit in there without ripping the mirrors off - never mind getting back out!" So I'm scratching my head wondering if I should risk it, or toss up my hands and vow that that garage is only to be used for a machine shop and workout room. I don't accumulate "stuff", it's not who I am, so I don't expect it to become a pit of doom filled with endless boxes of junk and spiders.

So how many of you actually put your cars in your garages, and how many have given it up as "that cold part of the house where I put stuff."?

I'm personally not going to use it as a garage any time soon, 1) I don't want to risk bashing up my truck on the garage door frame 2) I don't want to risk ramming the water heater and/or gas main which happen to sit inside my garage right next to where my truck would go.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Why can't you put the car in the garage? If it's a tight fit just keep track of your drivers side mirror. Car haulers do it daily. You should be able to also.

Reply to
tnom

Most cars/trucks have mirrors that fold back just because of this. Also, either suspend a tennis ball from a string to hit your windshield, or put a block/frame on the floor to limit how far you go into the garage.

Mine is a fairly tight fit, but I know just how far in I can go. If I need to get to my workbench, I simply back the car out. For storage, I have shelves/cabinets that do not interfere with the car when it is in the garage.

Also, for "stuff," consider a small storage shed, if you zoning will allow it. That helps a great deal. Bicycles can be suspended from the ceiling from hooks. The walls are your friend.

Reply to
professorpaul

Eigenvector wrote in article ...

In my first house with a garage, it was for a single car which, like yours, would barely fit. So, it was used mostly for storage; lawn mowers and the like, and a work space weather permitting. When it snowed, I managed to get the car in....slowly. Next house; 2 1/2 car garage which accommodates one car, tractor, garden tools and other misc. stuff; but with all that in it, the big truck and boat won't fit. ;->

Moral: they're never big enough. So, enjoy the extra space for now and plan for the future. Good luck!

TomC

Reply to
TomC

Well if I am to ever get it in there, I'm gonna have to figure out how to protect the water heater. The last thing I need to do is bump the water heater, breaking the gas line and setting off a blast. Maybe I can sledgehammer a hole in the garage floor and sink a cast iron sewer pipe and fill it with concrete?

Reply to
Eigenvector

What's the problem?

Get a smaller car.

Reply to
HeyBub

Actually the part that pisses me off royally is the fact that my buddy routinely parks his '73 Gran Torino in his garage. Looks like it's time to pull up the panties and do it.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Our vehicles have not spent more than a night or two outside since 1987.

Might be why my 1996 truck looks like it is 5 years old.

Reply to
Colbyt

Unless you have some sort of super extended mirrors, you should turn in your driver's license if you can't get in and out with that much space. My car is 74" plus mirror and I put it in the garage easily. I do find it easier to back in and just watch the right side mirror. If that clears by an inch, I know the other side will easily and I have plenty of room to open the door. As for hitting anything in the rear, I just line up with something on the side, like the window frame with the window of the garage. Perfect positioning every time. If that scares you, hang a string with a weight and stop when you hit the string.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Here in Florida, it's "that hot part of the house ...".

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Everyone I know has a two car or three car garage and they all put 1 or 2 cars (or trucks) in the car. Most of the doors are two low for a 3/4 or

1/2 truck. Most trucks/vehicles have mirrors that can be rotated to give more clearance. I just drive my Explorer in and watch the mirror so that it misses the door frame on the driver's side by 1-2 inches. Maybe you ought to try driving in at a speed of less than 10 mph. :) It is not difficult.

For a forward stop you put the vehicle in (carefully) and hang a ball on a string from the ceiling so that it touches the windshield. (Don't know what happened to the damn ball, there is an old tooth brush on the string now). You can do the same for side markers, but if you drive straight in you shouldn't need side markers. There is no problem in backing out if you drive in straight; just don't move the wheel and watch the driver's side mirror at the driver's side door frame.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

My 2000 truck has always been outside (garage door too low), but i looks like it is only one year old (when it gets washed)/

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Eigenvector wrote in article ...

After you park it successfully the first time, lay a 4X4 or something like it under the back tire. In the future you'll know you've gone far enough when you hit it. Just make sure it's something that's heavy so it won't be easily moved. After awhile, you'll get use to parking and you won't need the back stop. TomC

Reply to
TomC

Hmmm, Our double garage is always used for two car parking. Outside now is

-17C. Inside garage is much warmer even if not as warm as inside house, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang