Thank you, amateur gutter hanger, wherever you are

Spent some time cleaning out my raingutters today. I have to shout out a very special "thank you" to the halfwit who installed them before I bought the house. For sloping them incorrectly so they hold water. For using spikes and ferrules. For mounting them way below the drip edge. For creating downspout holes by perforating with a 1/4" drill until it could be punched out with a hammer, leaving a scad of sharp little metal hooks sticking into the hole. For attaching the spout adapters using gobs of caulk and too-long screws.

The only thing I don't hate about it is that it isn't rusting. Yet.

Reply to
usenet-659f31de7f953aeb

So that was you up on my roof today, while I was out running errands? I wondered who moved my ladder. You described my place to a T.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Do you live so far from civilization that you were unable to do better research and find someone better? Or what?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What part of "installed before I bought the house" did you find confusing?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Or what. You have SERIOUS reading comprehension problems. He wrote, "before I bought the house". You even quoted it in your reply. The OP had NOTHING to do with the installation of the gutters.

Yeah, I missed that. So shoot me.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In your case, Joe, probably not a good invitation to make to this group.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Heh. :)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

BANG! Sorry, couldn't resist. It was a blank, anyway.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Then why's there a hole in JoeSpareBedroom's head?

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

What is the best type of hanger to use?

Reply to
David B.

When I did it for a living (so many years ago) we used hidden hangers, little bracket jobbies that go inside the gutter, hook under the front lip and over the back edge, then screwed into the fascia board. Very secure, very clean-looking from the outside. Or we'd rivet straps to the hangers (and rivet the hangers to the gutter) and run the straps into the roof if the fascia wasn't suitable.

Here's one that looks about right (no connection, just saying):

usenet-659f31de7f953aeb