Texcote-Stucco-Vinyl Siding Question

On the most waether exposed side of a 40 yr old stucco house (garage actually) I have gotten some cracking and with wind driven rain the water is penetrating. I want to redo the entire house with either texcote or vinyl siding. I have got a few siding estimates and so far one texcote estimate, the texcote contractor, who also does vinyl siding, says that he won't do siding jobs on houses my age because most were built with the stucco going below ground level. He says that covering with siding siding could lead to problems later on. Of course none of the siding only guys mentioned this. So is this true? I'm in northern Calif, with HOT summers, mild winters, and 95% of the annual rainfall during the winter months, and far enough away from major faultines so the quake shakes are very mild. Which way to go?

Reply to
Rick

I'd listen to the guy who does both.....he wants your work but he doesn't want to give you a problem installation

with the stucco going below grade is a possible wicking surface that can bring mositure up into the wall....currectly it can escpae thru the stucco...cover it with vinyl siding & you help trap the moisture & you could be aslking for rot problems

I'm not a fan vinyl siding you could demo the stucco back to framing, put in a proper moisture barrier (building paper / tyvek) then re-stucco or go with T-111 wood sliding

where in No Cal? Bay area or Sacto?

I live in SoCal (OC) & bad construction practice can still cause rot problems

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

"BobK207" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com: