Termites... bugger

Hi - I have an old wooden fence I pulled down on the weekend to build a nice shiny colourbond fence. When pulling off the pailings I found termites. Lots of them. Now I know your not supposed to disturb them but I had to finish the fence. I just placed all the pailings on the ground where I removed them.

Now this is a back fence so it's about 30 metres away from the house. But I'm worried that if I move the old fence pailings to take them to the tip that I will cause them to move to my house (off the ground on brick piers with ant caps). To move the pailings I have to carry them past my house out to the front. Sounds funny but what happens if termites jump off the pailings when I'm walking past my house. But I know they cant survive long outside so I might be OK. Will I be? I dont really want to burn the old fence because I'll have to wait 4 months until Winter and we have a total fire ban here in Australia.

While I'm at it... theres alot of up and downs, and the cost of termite protection I dont really have the money for. Can anyone point me to a "do it yourself" solution? I doubt it but no harm in asking. I'm not a pro but I'm pretty handy around the house and love getting my hands dirty. I looked at the hardware store and they've got nothing to practially protect the house. The only have a diesel mix you pour around the house.

Reply to
bellamy_luke

termite protection I dont really have the money for. Can anyone point me to a "do it yourself" solution?

Reply to
BobK207

They will shortly die of dehydration or predation of other insects

The only thing the diesel will do for the termites is cause them to move to an uncontaminated area around the home. make sure you have several inches of clean foundation so they can't easily make entry into the structure.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

They will just they can't get back under ground to there nest so they will just die. spray the area with bug spray. There not going to fall off the wood and invest the house. If they get in your house it has nothing to do with the old fence. You really should read up on them.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Termites avoid sunlight, as you might prove if you dig at the wood and expose them - they will crawl deeper into the chamber. So, if you haul it away they aren't likely to know they are going elsewhere or to prefer your property :o)

If you find an old, dead piece of wood lying on the ground anywhere, you will likely find termites in it. Best defense is to know how to prevent their entry, keep wood dry and painted, keep landscaping off wood parts of the house, seal up gaps around windows, doors and plumbing entries, and know signs to look for.

Reply to
Norminn

If by ant caps you are referring to metal flashing bent back towards the ground, that is a very good barrier for termites also.

Termites don't jump, they crawl slowly.

I'm confused. If it is so dry that you have a burn ban, where are the termites getting their moisture to survive?

We have an old saying "Pay me now or pay me later". Meaning that spending a little money now for protection is much better than spending a lot of money later for repairs.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Black ants kill termites. I just break up termite riddled timber to let the black ants in and that is the end of the termites.

I think your concerns re house infestation are overblown. You ought read up more on termites. Australia has termites everywhere. Most backyards have termites. Most houses aren't eaten out by termites.

Termites need water to survive. They need to build tunnels to get to water if there is none around the wood they are eating.

Regular visual and physical inspections are your best protection against termites. If your house has termites you can actually hear them munching in the quiet of the night.

Ross (To get email address ROT 13) ebff snipped-for-privacy@lnubb.pbz

Reply to
RMD

luke,

I don't understand your fears but maybe your termites are different from mine. Get some large trash bags. Put the termite ridden lumber in the trash bags. Seal the trash bags. Inspect the exterior of the bags for termites. Carry the sealed lumber bags safely past your home. The ant caps may protect your house but there is likely to be a government advisor on such matters, called agricultural extension agents here. There are also many businesses which work in this field.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel