Terminal Box term

I want to put a terminal box under the meter box on this pole.

What's the term for a terminal box that is made to have a hub on the top? I've found a lot of boxes but none seem to be what I want. It's single phase 100 amp. 240/120vac

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Hub ? on the top ...

In my area - if you mess with the meter connections - it's considered a no - no .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Sure.. I've hooked up a lot of them over the years for irrigation. We normally hang a fusible disconnect switch under the meter box. The power company comes out after that was done to turn on the power, put the meter in, and put a little tag on it to seal the meter. The wiring I did was on the downstream side of the actual meter.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

"terminal box"? "Hub"?

what are you trying to accomplish. If you tell us what you are trying to accomplish MAYBE someone will be able to give you an intelligent answer???

Reply to
Clare Snyder

You can probably add a "Meyers hub" to the top of a properly rated box.

Reply to
bud--

If he is coming off the service he needs a service rated breaker panel and it will be rated 100a but if it is 3R (rain tight) it will usually accept a hub.

Reply to
gfretwell

This might be a good example in the differences of life's experiences. Bud and Fretwell apparently knew what I was getting at. I found what I was after after posting my question. These things:

. The hole at the top of the box is molded upwards to keep water out when used with a hub.
I've had it happen in the past that even changing the order of the words in a search makes a difference. Same words, different sequence. This is solved so now I can ask more silly questions in the future.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

That helps. I did eventually find terminal boxes but they all seemed to be Midwest brand. This will give me more, hopefully cheaper, options. Thank you.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The meter box has a built in 100 amp circuit breaker. Will anything downstream of that breaker be service entrance? I'm thinking not but my experience is limited to hooking up irrigation related stuff.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The 100A breaker is the service disconnect. Downstream doesn't have to be service-rated. A downstream breaker panel would usually be main-lug (no overall disconnect, but it can have one).

If you are looking for a circuit breaker panel Square-D (in particular, and probably the others) have enclosures that have a hub, but you may need to find a complete catalog and special order. Your Lowes link is for GE. You can turn the square hub fitting to get 3 distances from the back 'wall'.

For just a box, another source is Hoffman

they should have boxes with hubs (didn't look).

You could run EMT down from the meter and use a LB into the side of a box. Entry has to be below circuit breakers and similar.

There are locknuts that have a sealing gasket. (I never figured out what they are good for.)

Reply to
bud--