Telemarketers <sigh>

FWIW, the government is putting some of the assholes away. Personally, I think this pond scum should be executed.

fred

On 02/26/2016 02:15 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote: Per Trol Odioso:

Are you using it?

Impressions ? I use ooma.com as my phone service. nomorobo is built in to ooma. Works great!

Reply to
Red

Because they know the originating number. That's in the "meta data" that the government wanted to collect and their billing information. For some reason they allow calls on their network with faked caller ID information.

Here's a nice overview:

Looks like spoofing the ID is now illegal in the US. What I want is for the carriers in the US to do the blocking and cut off any other carrier that allows spoofing.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I also use AT&T , thus far I have not reached the limit or 20

I have also signed up for nomorobo

Between the two virtually all nuisance calls have been blocked.

The phone will ring one time though

Reply to
philo

I got rid of my land line. It also spares me from incessant botheration during the election year.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

You can purchase a service that drops calls with "blocked" CID. Typically, the call is intercepted with a message: "You must unblock your CID to complete the call. Press XYZ to do so for this call."

Because there are no longer "just a handful" of telephone companies! And, much of it is VoIP (how do you KNOW where that caller is located?). Likewise, calls originating overseas (do you really think all of those customer service reps with those THICK accents are seated at desks in the USA?).

Note there are legitimate cases where a CID *needs* (wants?) to be spoofed. You'd surely not want to have to track which of the THOUSANDS of telephone numbers you could be contacted FROM by a legitimate business concern.

Do you KNOW the phone number that your MD will be using to notify you of your upcoming appointment? Or, the phone number of the radiologist at the local hospital who's calling to give your your results?

So, you rely on "intend to defraud" as the only way to differentiate between legitimate spoofing and nefarious actors. Who do you rely on to PROVE this "intent"? What's the process? What do you do when the perpetrator moves to the next office over in the office complex??

Call authentication has to be something that the callers and callees control -- without the intervention of the phone companies or legislators. To that end, all they can do is give me hooks that make it easy for me to do that. E.g., bill the calling party for the call and let ME decide if I want to "reimburse them" because I WELCOMED the call. Then, just bill (prepay) for access to The Network.

Alternatively, authenticate the actual contact -- like PEM -- so a smartphone can decide to take or drop the call before incurring air time costs.

Reply to
Don Y

Until they call back a minute later. Or, you happen to be asleep and the phone wakes you.

The connection shouldn't exist (in practical terms) unless YOU want it. Why should I have to be bothered by a call that YOU KNOW I DON'T WANT??

Reply to
Don Y

Per Don Y:

I am one of those.

My outgoing VOIP calls get the caller ID spoofed to contain my land line number.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I have been using NoMoRobo for about a year. At the start, I would get about five one-ring calls a day. One ring means they were intercepted by NoMoRobo. Now I get 1 or none a day (mostly none).

I suspect that the Robo Callers can detect that their call has been intercepted by NoMoRobo and as a result, their computer puts my number on a Do Not Call list. That's just a guess but I get far fewer calls that are "one ring" now then when I did when I started NoMoRobo a year ago.

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

KenK wrote in news:XnsA5BA62121EB85invalidcom@130.133.4.11:

I am using Ooma. Their Premier service is $10/mo and comes with wildcard call blocking and NoMoRobo integration.

I also have a program on my PC called PhoneTray Free, which works with my voice modem. Prior to using Ooma, this was my primary method of call blocking. With PhoneTray, the phone rings once or twice (I set it to twice) so that the modem can collect the call info to decide if the call should be zapped. I believe PhoneTray Free is no longer available now, but the company has a pay program called PhoneTray Pro for $30.

The two of them work very well together, for example, Ooma can't block by caller-id, but phonetray can. Belt and suspenders.

Dee

Reply to
Dee

Phonetray Pro also as an annual charge of $9.99 but well worth it my opinion.

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

Muggles wrote in news:naq6tj$9c1$ snipped-for-privacy@xyh22b37-wqple5c211x.eternal-september.org:

How do you do that? I've not gotten those calls on my cell but who knows what will happen in the future? They seem to be getting everywhere. I never looked on the cell but I've gone though the menus often for other stuff and I can't recall seeing anything about blocking calls. Or maybe it depends on the phone? Or cell service?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

I use Advanced Call Blocker on my Android phone:

Arnie Goetchius

I go to my call history, find the number in the list that I want to block, hold down on that number 'til a pop up menu comes up with a list of options. On that pop up menu near the bottom of the list is the option "block contact". I click that and that number is blocked to my cell phone.

You may have a similar list on your phone call history.

Reply to
Muggles

CPR Callblocker. Simple, easy to set up, and it works. Well worth the price for the peace and quiet.

Reply to
Lane

I just bought several of the Panasonic cordless phones that let you block a single number or a range of numbers. No more robo calls.

Reply to
Rocinante

Well, I think someone should shoot a few of them.

Or at least plant a story that several were killed.

Reply to
Micky

I just got an invitation to join a class action suit against a company that abuses DNC. I sent back the card. Lets see. I don't expect anything but who knows.

Reply to
gfretwell

Look into Jolly Roger Phone Company. If you google, it's not the home page. It's farther down and refers to this problem. I'd know the page but FF probably lost the tab for me.

Reply to
Micky

Yes, of course. The fact is they take native Americans and teach them to talk with foreign accents, just so customers won't expect much when they call Customer Service. It takes only 4 days to teach them an accent, but they save an average of 6.4 hours every week not assisting customers when they seem to not understand the questions.

After 5 weeks, it's pure profit.

Reply to
Micky