()T - Cars - purpose plastic on corner of door frame

What is the purpose of this clear plastic or more likely vinyl piece?
I have a 2000 Toyota Solara two-door, and there is a piece of clear plastic covering the corner of the "door frame" at the lower rear corner. It's L-shaped with a rounded corner, like the door, about 3/4" wide and 4" horizontal from the corner, 4" vertical from the corner,
It also goes into the space between the door and the "frame" about 3/4", and it's on both door frames. The material is no more than an eighth of an inch thick.
Is it there to protect the door frame? from my long keyring My pocketwatch. From people climbing into the back seat? I don't think any of these things woudl hit it.
It's gotten dirty and I'd like to take it off, but if I do, this will be the last time I remember to ask about it

It is an abrasive guard to keep samd and road dirt from blasting the paint off the edge of the dogleg - and it is VERY effective. It's there for a (good) reason - do NOT attempt to take it off. You won't likely manage without damaging the paint if you do try.
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 15 Feb 2017 20:01:09 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I should have said "dirty on the inside, under the vinyl". If it were just dirty on the outside, I'd clean it. ;-)

Okay. Thanks. I'm glad I asked.

+1 Don't remove it. It's likely pockmarked from debris hitting it. You can always get a new one from the dealer for big bux...
--
Tekkie