Beam Size

I want to expand a door opening from 3' -6'. What size of lumber and beam type do I need to use to create the beam. It is a bearing wall in the basement.

Reply to
Mike

Consult an architectural engineer.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

There are online calculators for that . The one I used recommended doubled

2x10's with a 1/2" ply between for a span of 10 feet between supports for my main floor beams . So I supported them every 8 feet ... my floors don't "bounce" . I expect that would also be suitable for the OP's header . To the OP - you will need to support the floor joists on BOTH sides of the wall while you modify the opening since it is a load wall for the structure above .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Would the OP need an inspection? How would that impact on a DIY beam?

Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman

Depends on the local requirements. Here in NJ, since it's structural, it would need a permit and inspection. And how substantial the support needs to be would seem to depend on what the load is that it's supporting from above.

Reply to
trader_4

Definitely requires a permit - and with that usually an inspection. DIY is OK as long as it meets the spec. Best to have calculations you can show indicating the solution you are proposing excedes requirements. They MIGHT require a signed engineer's drawing, but unlikely as there is a current opening. You DO need to make sure there is a proper footing under where the load point will be located on both sides.

Reply to
clare

It's tough to say without more information.

Will you be doing the work yourself or have someone else do the work? If someone else will be doing the work, you can start by making sure it is someone who has the know-how and skills to do it properly and safely. An experienced framer will know various ways to achieve what you want. And, depending on what you have there now, he/she may be able to show you ways to avoid having a drop-down beam across the top that brings the opening down lower than you want it to be. -- such as by using a "flush mount support beam" (Google that term).

Will you be getting a permit to do the work? If so, the entity that issues the permit will tell you what they require in terms of drawings, possibly structural engineer's report, etc.

If you are doing it without a permit, you can still hire a structural engineer for a few hundred dollars (maybe less than $300) to look at what you have and sketch out a design plan that would work and be safe etc.

Good luck. let us know what you end up doing.

Reply to
TomR

The last sentence here is important. It will involve more work than you think...

Reply to
Tekkie®