Synonym???

Have old measuring "rod wheel" (it's actually calibrated in chains, but we used old rod measures long before it ever arrived on the scene so it inherited the moniker, deserved/accurate or not) -- it has short section of flex cable like speedometer cable that makes the right-angle bend at the bottom end from the wheel up the handle to the counter. Unfortunately, last fall it finally failed and am needing to get it repaired.

Bought a replacement speedo cable from NAPA/AutoZone/whoever it was some time back, but realized today when actually beginning to work it over that it is 0.125-130" D whereas the existing cable is closer to 0.150" (9/64" or a little bigger, maybe).

Can't seem to find anything but the smaller and couldn't for life of me think of a proper other name to use in searching...anybody have either source or even a search term?

Reply to
dpb

maybe you could make a bushing to adapt the smaller cable

Reply to
ZZyXX

  My thinking too . Go to the local hobby shop and look at their selection of small brass tubing . Buy some of the proper size and a package of JBWeld and some degreasing solvent . You know the rest ...
Reply to
Terry Coombs

On 3/30/2018 5:06 PM, Terry Coombs wrote: ...

_What_ kind of local shop...????!!!!

Surely you jest... :)

Reply to
dpb

My attempts at trying to roll some shim stock weren't particularly fruitful; I've no idea where one would find cylindrical tubing of 0.01" wall thickness...

I'll give a go at just filling with braze material and see if can make it last long enough for the immediate need while continue to ponder the longer-term fix...

I'd still like the generic name for speedo cable...there are other applications for same type of flex shafts that aren't but I can't seem to find a good search term to find it.

Reply to
dpb

Tachometer cable for farm tractors or stationary engines?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Get me some accurate dimensions and I'll make you some sleeves . Probably the easiest way for me is to center drill some .125" brazing rod on the lathe ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

  Oops , that's the smaller dimension . Still , I can center drill some stock for you . My reply-to is good though only checked a couple of times a week .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Something like that? There are flexible shafts for die grinders but they probably more than you want to spend.

Reply to
rbowman

On 3/30/2018 8:07 PM, Terry Coombs wrote: ...

Thanks for the offer...let me try some more here today and see what I can manage to cobble up. If I have no luck I'll let you know...there are a couple of machine shops in town that will do small onesie/twosie things for me when I get totally stuck since I don't have much metalworking shop stuff for precision work...

Reply to
dpb

On 3/30/2018 9:35 PM, rbowman wrote: ...

That's an idea to rebuild entirely, perhaps. Something like that could be adapted but would take redoing the shaft as it's too big to go up the center...

This is just a 6-8" piece of speedo-type cable brazed to the wheel hub one end and other end then coupled to a same-diameter rod that goes up the shaft to the handle and connects to the counter.

Eventually I ought to get an updated GPS system with sufficient accuracy/precision, but haven't at the moment...

Reply to
dpb

What sort of accuracy are you looking for? Mapping grade GPS systems that use DGPS and post processing aren't cheap. Survey grade systems are completely out of sight.

Interesting paper that concluded a consumer grade Garmin 60 was almost as good as an intermediate grade mapping system and a lot easier to use. I've seen reports that lean the other way but when you work for the FS and are using a $5000 system there has to be some reason it's better than an eTrex 20 :)

Reply to
rbowman

1 rod over a half-mile (quarter-section) is 1A; target is 0.1A; can live with being within a few-tenths of an acre.

The Deere auto-track ag systems are repeatable within ~2" and about 6" absolute.

With the no-charge SF1 differential correction they quote Accuracy at the receiver: 33 cm ? 95% of time; 6.5 cm ? 68% of time; 11 cm ? 50% of time

For planting/harvesting one can subscribe to SF2 for

10 cm - 95% of time; 5 cm - 68% of time; 3.5 cm - 50% of time

I've estimated I can probably do within a couple feet most of the time with the rod wheel if mow short so can get good ground contact. If can use road along a field, it can be much more repeatable than that; then the biggest difference is where one picks for the start edge of the field; how much of the bar ditch to count! :).

Reply to
dpb

I didn't realize they were that good but on second thought the usual 10 meter accuracy of consumer GPS receivers wouldn't cut it. I don't imagine they give the auto-track away though. The last time I drove a tractor it was point it at a tree across the field and hope you didn't fall asleep before you got there. A '40s vintage Minneapolis-Moline wasn't very high tech.

Reply to
rbowman

  My wife indulges my ToolWhoredom ... as well she should , it's saved us lots more than their cost over the years . An added bonus is that it keeps me out of her hair when she's off work ... yes that's right , I go out to the shop to HIDE .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Indeed, many years of same...when in HS we were planting four rows, knife-sledding six, and cultivating five; one had to be able to drive a nearly consistent row spacing if not absolutely straight. I always much preferred doing the row crop because that kept you with something to do instead of just following a track 'round 'n 'round on the wheat ground...

I began with old Farmall 'M' although most of that vintage the Allis-Chalmers D-17 was "mine"; Dad took the newer Farmall 560 and brother did almost all the wheat ground with a Case 930 wheatland...

Reply to
dpb

Have you looked at any of these?

This one is only $350. It's a real deal since it's your money.

Don't you have a walking A stashed away somewhere? I think there is still one out at our farm.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

On 3/31/2018 5:49 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote: ...

Yes, it's still here, too...Have to count with it and at my age...plus, I can hold the wheel out the window of the truck. :)

Reply to
dpb

And, the wheel is still functional; just don't have the counter at the moment so can still get by manually counting rev's just a lot less convenient and more error-prone to miscount...

The braze didn't stick to speedo cable in the test trial yesterday...

Reply to
dpb

On 3/31/2018 3:36 PM, Terry Coombs wrote: ...

I've tools of course, just not the precision metal-working side...have always been lacking the full-sized weather-tight-enough shop to be able to have such. Been a want but too may other more pressing needs ahead of it...

Reply to
dpb