Switch box extension

I am replacing panels with drywall. As drywall is thicker then panels all electrical outlet and switch boxes are too deep inside the wall. I heard there are extensions available for switch boxes that are added to existing switch boxes and allow to pull receptacles and switches out from the wall. Where can I find and buy them? My local HomeDepot does not have them.

Reply to
Alexander Galkin

Try this place...

indago

Look for plaster rings. They come in 1/4", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4" and deeper extensions. Raco, a division of Hubbell is one manufacturer.

RB

Alexander Galk> I am replacing panels with drywall. As drywall is thicker then panels all

Reply to
RB

Just use longer screws if you can't find them. Making sure the ears of the outlet or switch contacts the drywall and don't make them so tight that you crush the drywall. Once the covers are on they will tighten up just fine.

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

Yes they do sell these at electrical supply houses, but I have a feeling you are only increasing the wall thickness by 1/4" or so. They are not made that thin. Simply get longer screws, and get some standard steel nuts (or lots of washers), and shim it out by putting the nuts around the screws between the outlet (or switch) and the box. Just find nuts that are about the same thickness. I have even seem people take 1/4" plywood and cut tiny pieces with holes drilled in them, but the nuts are much easier....

Reply to
me

Reply to
Anthony Diodati