Suggestion to pump gasoline from one car to another in a garage

There are chemicals that you can add to the tank to prevent or greatly slow any degradation. And, you can fit it with a condensation trap to preclude moisture transfer. This plan could work if you have a place with enough land to keep the tank clear of the house.

Reply to
hls

Its a great way to to ruin fittings and set your car up for a future leak and fire, I would never mess with some kind of tap or valve off a pressurised fuel system near the motor. Car fires do occur from fuel leaks, your insurace co probably wont honor a claim with a tap put in after they inspect it.

Reply to
ransley

This can be dangerous too. The answer is that his wife should fill it when she is in town, or he should take her car every week or two and fill it up.

You cant foolproof this type of situation. Fools are too clever at getting around almost every precaution.

Reply to
hls

I agree with others that what you are planning is not practical and may be dangerous. That said I installed a valve on my truck in the fuel line that I can open and it will let me draw gas from the truck. I have used this for lawnmower gas, helping a stranded motorist and lantern and generator fuel when camping. Since traded that truck in and the current model will shut down the fuel pump after a few seconds if the engine isnt started. I miss the old setup and have thought about just putting together a set of hoses with an external tank fuel pump that I can keep in my tool box.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I agree with others that what you are planning is not practical and may be dangerous. That said I installed a valve on my truck in the fuel line that I can open and it will let me draw gas from the truck. I have used this for lawnmower gas, helping a stranded motorist and lantern and generator fuel when camping. Since traded that truck in and the current model will shut down the fuel pump after a few seconds if the engine isnt started. I miss the old setup and have thought about just putting together a set of hoses with an external tank fuel pump that I can keep in my tool box.

Jimmie

******** It is done, and has been done, but is probably not the best of ideas.
Reply to
hls

Quite simply and demonstrably not true on two points. While the OP didn't mention the make/model on which he's considering doing this, many vehicles have quick disconnects (similar to the below) at the fuel rail that don't even require a tool for removal, i.e. simply squeeze together the Tabs (1.) and remove the line.

Detail of nylon quick disconnect insert showing Tabs
Jumpering two terminals on the fuel pump relay will allow the pump to run continuously (as it does on most applications while the engine is running) and under nearly no load conditions, would commonly pump the requested volume in certainly no greater than 15 minutes (e.g., see NapaOnLine.com Bosch pump p/n BSHN69223:delivers ~44 G/H @ 28 PSI)

However, for an issue easily (even given this minimal amount of effort) otherwise addressed, it is a genuinely dangerous enterprise.for such extremely limited returns.

Reply to
Heron McKeister

Friend of mine has a Carter electric fuel pump screwed to a large board (to keep it from flopping around in use) with lengths of rubber fuel hose attached to it for just this purpose. Wired up with heavy zip cord with alligator clips so you can clamp onto the battery terminals of your car. Works great on older cars; utterly useless on a newer car with an anti-siphon baffle in the filler neck.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I was going to offer some suggestions but William Brammer stepped up to the plate and went 4-for-4 (we're waiting for an instant replay review of the fifth at-bat; whether it went fair or foul depends on how far, and which way, your wife drives). If I may summarize: you're going to some nontrivial expense and exposure to danger (if you must do this, "just outside the garage" is an excellent thought!) to save, in the big picture, not very much money.

We think of gasoline as fairly safe stuff, but it really isn't -- it just seems that way because we use some pretty specific technology, and safety rules, when storing and handling it.

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

re: "Jumpering two terminals on the fuel pump relay will allow the pump to run continuously (as it does on most applications while the engine is running)"

Or just *start* the car while you're tapped in to keep the pump running.

Let us know how the ECM deals with that!

BTW...You might want to consider opening the garage door also.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If I remember correctly, back in the 70's during the Arab oil embargo, the Alabama State Troopers had the patrol cars modified to dispense some fuel for stranded motorists who ran out of gas on the Interstate. The announcement included a statement that the measure was not meant to get you to your travel destination but to get you safely off the highway and to a gas station.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

line.http://www.diesel-max.com/my_files/images/quick-connect_fitting_400x3...

Tabs

re: "Jumpering two terminals on the fuel pump relay will allow the pump to run continuously (as it does on most applications while the engine is running)"

running.

********************* Once the supply line is removed from the fuel rail, the engine is starved for fuel and won't run. No additonal hardware (such as a tap) is required. *********************

********************* Should it not have been clear, the pump relay is actually first removed, then the socket terminals (often 3 & 5) are jumpered. I KNOW, I've performed this procedure an untold number of times. Kindly inform me should you require additional spoon-feeding. *********************

BTW...You might want to consider opening the garage door also.

Reply to
Heron McKeister

Gas transfer + water heater =3D disaster. Gas up both cars yourself or grow a pair... ;)

Reply to
ben91932

Perchance you missed the fact that I was being facetious.

Whoosh!

Is that the sound of a joke going over someone's head or the sound of gas fumes igniting in a garage?

I wonder....

Reply to
DerbyDad03

William Brammer wrote in news:hi4p9n$m4t$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Well you never said that before.

How about getting her a prepaid gift card for the cheapie station?

Reply to
Tegger

William Brammer wrote in news:hi4p6p$m4c$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

So you're going to do all this to save 20 cents per gallon?

At 15 gallons per week, you're potentially saving...three dollars.

That's $12 per month.

Unless you're /really/ stuck for cash, is it even worth it?

Reply to
Tegger

"Master Betty" wrote in news:hi4vau$n4l$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

He's going to save three dollars a week doing what he wants to do.

Reply to
Tegger

line.http://www.diesel-max.com/my_files/images/quick-connect_fitting_400x3..> .

Perchance you missed the fact that I was being facetious.

Whoosh!

Is that the sound of a joke going over someone's head or the sound of gas fumes igniting in a garage?

I wonder.... =====================================

Given your emphasis to simply "start" the car and the taking to task of my suggestion to jumper the relay with your "Let us know how the ECM deals with that!" statement, you'll surely understand if I put no stock whatsoever in either your "yea, that's the ticket" latter day claim of facetiousness or your followup insulting pretentious superciliousness.

Reply to
Heron McKeister

.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

re: "...I put no stock whatsoever in ... your "yea, that's the ticket" latter day claim..."

Ya know, I'm OK with that.

I know when I'm making a funny and that's really all that matters, at least to me.

There is no possible way for me to convince you otherwise, even if I say "Really I was...*really!*" so we'll just let this slide with you thinking what you're going to think and me knowing the truth.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

line.http://www.diesel-max.com/my_files/images/quick-connect_fitting_400x3..>

re: "...I put no stock whatsoever in ... your "yea, that's the ticket" latter day claim..."

Ya know, I'm OK with that.

I know when I'm making a funny and that's really all that matters, at least to me.

There is no possible way for me to convince you otherwise, even if I say "Really I was...*really!*" so we'll just let this slide with you thinking what you're going to think and me knowing the truth.

--------------------------------------------- An intended comedic retort that requires an explanation totally fails as an attempt at humor.

Next.

Reply to
Heron McKeister

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Let it slide, my friend, let it slide. It's really not worth getting all lathered up over something so trivial as a missed joke.

You've made valid points regarding relay terminals and nylon quick disconnect inserts and the gallons per hour delivered by a specific Bosch pump. We get it...you know what you're talking about.

I'll tell you what. The next time I respond in a thread that you are participating in, I'll be sure to use ;-) and :-o and :-( etc. so that you'll be able to determine whether I was trying to be humorous or not. I certainly wouldn't want you to miss the chance to chuckle at my jocularity.

Reply to
DerbyDad03