stuck windows - looking for non-smelly silicone lube

I have windows that are friction based (no rollers) and need silicone lube every few years or so. The mfg recommends silicone lube as other lubes and oils attract dirt, which jams up the surfaces. The silicone lube works great and is long lasting, but the problem is the nasty petroleum smell that lasts for days, nearly a week.

From what I could find out, silicone lubes use a "carrier" that evaporates, leaving the silicone behind. Are there any silicone lubes that don't use a smelly carrier, or even 100% pure silicone that I can swab on the windows? Is the carrier really needed?

Reply to
Veggie

try powdered graphite

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Silicon spray?

Travis Jordan

They make a food-grade silicon spray that has no taste or odor. Can't remember who makes it, but i know it's out there.....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

I went thru 5 different brands of silicone sprays for wood windows with plastic tracks and the best one was by Dupont. Bought it at Ace Hardware but have never found it again. Was NOT 100% silicone. They did not hold up as well. None of the sprays smelled bad after an hour. If plastic involve look for one labeled for plastic or vinyl.

Reply to
Art

I've never noticed an odor with KEL Pure Silicone spray:

Bob(but not that Bob)

Probably the easiest way to get what you want is to go to an automotive parts store and buy a tube of silicone dielectric grease. It is a vaseline consistency pure silicone that will do exactly what you want with no odor.

Reply to
George

Reply to
Veggie

Back in my dive shop days we used to use food grade silicon grease to lube and restore rubber o-rings and regulator parts. It has no odor and lasts much longer than silicon spray. Dow made it.... they call it high vacuum grease silicon compound.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

To Mortimer Schnerd.. Would Rick Springer approved of it? OR more importantly Sena Stone? (spell check on Sena...)

Reply to
Chuck

Somebody out there knows me....

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

That's great, there's a dive shop in town. Saves me the trouble of calling a manufacturer and begging them to ship me a single order of grease.

Thanks for all the net advice.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Reply to
Veggie