Stucco over panel siding

I have a 20 y/o house in North Fl, that I am either going to paint, install vinyl siding, or stucco over. The wood is the typical plywood with a vertical routed strip for a pattern. It is in generally good shape. Any rotten wood has been replaced a few years ago. I don't like the pattern or the look of the wood, or I would go ahead and paint. I don't like vinyl siding as a general rule, it just looks too common or cheap for my tastes.

I have seen a few homes that have had stucco applied over the wood panels, but I have never managed to drive by the homes while the construction was taking place. I have read a little about the process, but was interested in getting some personal accounts of their experience if anyone has any. I can talk to the owners of the homes I have seen too.

I would just sell, but the market is a little quiestionable... so that must figure into the costs vs. what I can recoupe if I want to sell in the next five years.

Any advice would be appreciated... right now, I have no idea of the costs... I have only read a little about the process.

Reply to
gifer

vinyl siding will be more affordable, and maintence free.

stucco will probably cost 3 to 4 times more and require perodic painting etc

Reply to
hallerb

Stucco is pretty cheap...IIRC, my house cost about $3500 ten years ago for 5400+ sq.ft. Over block. It went very fast, good crew. In your case, they'll have to nail on steel mesh but no big deal. You'll tend to get more hairline cracks in stucco over mesh and wood than over block IME. They are easily fixed with acrylic caulk.

Someone mentioned the need to paint. True. Ditto wood. And block. Stucco *can* have color mixed in but lots of stucco guys don't like to do it as they have trouble getting an even color overall.

You may have problems with the wall openings (windows/doors) because of the stucco thickness. Best thing is to ask around for who does good work then have a couple of them come take a look, answer any questions, explain any potential problems and give you a price.

Reply to
dadiOH

Sell? How much? What county? Which state do you border?

Reply to
Oren