Stretch hook springs

How to stretch out side two hook springs And hook them on a old flip grange door

Reply to
doggface380

You do *_NOT_* stretch the springs to install them. You manually raise the door open, and clamp/secure it in the open position. Then add the spring, and cables, with everything in a relaxed position. See this YouTube for a video of how this is done

Grampy

Maybe a come along will help.

Dean Hoffman

When people using Usenet see posts from homeowners, we get no background. Although this one looks like there were no preceding details.

At any rate I remember posts about garage door springs from 20 years ago that said they were dangerous. Becaue they are strong. And iirc it was better to hire a pro.

if that's not enough to stop you, there are probably ways to lower the risk think about using all of them.

Reply to
micky

Killjoy , we were hoping for a bloody aftermath , at the very least a trip to the minor medical if not the emergency room . Sheesh , some people's children ! <bseg>

Reply to
Snag

I said people using Usenet, not people using web browswers.

I use Usenet because I don't like webforums, and homemoaners is no exception.

Reply to
micky

Most old style garage door springs were pretty slack with the door all the way open. The trick is you are supposed to thread a steel cable down the center, tied off at both ends, so they don't whip around if they break. That is not an issue with the torsion (wind up) spring since there is a pipe going through it. The main danger with them is the 1/2" rods you use to wind them up can come swinging around if something slips and you don't have a good grip on them. I have done both styles a few times.

Reply to
gfretwell

I had a coworker that was out of work for almost a month and when he came back the surgical scars on his face had barely healed.

He hit the button to close the garage door and got out of his car. As he was walking along side the car the spring snapped and, due to no safety cable, smacked him upside the head. His wife had heard the garage door close, then heard the bang and went out to see what had happened. When she didn't see her husband, she walked around the car and found him lying, unconscious, in a pool of blood.

Actually, the first main danger is that the door can come crashing down. I had that happen to me. The spring broke as the door was about 1/4 the way down and it pulled right out of my hand. As the door began to fall the cable flew off the pully and got all tangled up. The door came to a hard stop about 2' off the ground.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Yeah, iirc they didn't used to do this, but they learned the hard way. That doesn't mean everyone does it right.

Dangerous for a newbie when you're fixing it and dangerous later if you don't do it right.

Reply to
micky

All the ones I saw fail were on GDOs and they were just stuck in the down position with the thermal tripped on the GDO.

Reply to
gfretwell

I am not sure when they started thinking this was a good idea but I did it in 1977-8 when I added the garage to my house in Md. I think the Sears guy told me when I ordered the door.

Reply to
gfretwell

It was shortly after I bought the house and it didn't have a GDO (yet).

When I look back at all the things that I added to the house, just for the pure convenience, I'm amazed that the family before me lived here for

30 years, raising 4 kids. The first few years were just project after project. This wasn't a fixer-upper by any means. It was just way below it's potential.

From plumbing to electrical to access to the backyard. This was in the mid

80's and I don't think the house had a single upgrade since it was built in the 50's.

Oh wait, it did have circuit breakers. 6. Tripping all the time. I have 30.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

This has been a project house since I moved in (84). The electrical was the first thing I upgraded but I doubt the previous owner would even recognize the place. I have added on stuff everywhere.

Reply to
gfretwell

The Hamm's sign was a nice touch.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Hamms? I have a Bud Light sign with a computer monitor where the message board goes and a PBR sign.

Reply to
gfretwell

I blame Google Street View. I was going to say Pabst but I got it wrong.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Olympia!

It's interesting to follow the path of the various old-time beers. Oly, Hamms, Pabst, Schmidt's. They're all cousins, bought and sold by different companies over the years.

This statement is especially fitting:

"Ag Energy Resources of Benton, Illinois purchased the machinery from Olympia Brewing to make ethanol for motor fuel use."

The warm beer at the bottom of an Oly can tasted like it turned into gasoline long before Ag Energy entered the picture. ;-)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

You can't see my pool or the deck from the street. That was from popular demand. I don't own a swim suit.

Reply to
gfretwell