Strangest Tire Question EVERRR...

Has anyone ever calculated or estimated the area, in square inches/square cm, of the *surface of the inside* of a tire?

Does at least an average exist out there, for broad categories: passenger car, SUV-light truck, and commercial truck?

Just curious, Thanks!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Tire manufacturers would have this as it would be the same as the inner build die they use when laying up a tire. However the number would vary a lot because of the myriad of sizes, Take a 205 75R 15, it would have a larger surface area than a 205 60R 15 simply due to the aspect ratio change.

Reply to
Steve W.

Steve W.:

I went to several tire mfg. sites, but could not find such information. I guess it's time for some E-mails & phone calls.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

What tools do we have to solve the problem? o Let's start with shape & terminology:

That gives us these perhaps relevant terms: o Tread width o Section height o Aspect ratio o Rolling circumference etc. Where for now I'll ignore there's a difference between o free (i.e., unloaded), and, o loaded

Then, using this tire-size calculator: And ignoring sig fig approximations (so I can just cut & paste numbers)...

Assume a P200/50R15 for easy numbers & using only the 1st URL above: o Diameter = 582mm (22.9") o Width = 200mm (7.9") o Sidewall = 99mm (3.9") o Circum. = 1,824mm (71.8") o Revs/Mile = 882 Also noting: o Rim diameter = 381mm (15")

Assuming the carcass inside & outside surface is "similar" in both shape & surface area, we easily arrive at a gross _approximation_ of: o Tread area = ~200mm wide times ~1,824mm around = ~364,800?sq mm o Sidewall area = ~99mm times ~1,824mm around times 2 = ~361,152sq mm Which calculates to... o Total U shaped carcass = ~364,800?sq mm + ~361,152sq mm Which comes to roughly ~725,952?sq mm

Given the sidewall area is probably more accurately done with donuts:

Where the terms appear to be: o Diameter of the Whole Area = 582mm o Diameter of Inside Area = 381mm Which calculates out to: o Area = 152,023.9sq mm o Outer Perimeter = 1,828.4mm o Inner Perimeter = 1,196.9mm o Total Perimeter = 1,196.9mm

Using these numbers for sidewall area in the previous calculation: o Tread area = ~200mm wide times ~1,824mm around = ~364,800?sq mm o Sidewall area = ~152,023.9sq mm times 2 = ~304,047.8?sq mm o Total U shaped carcass = ~364,800?sq mm + ~304,047.8?sq mm Which comes to roughly ~668,847.8?sq mm

In summary, and knowing the inside dimensions must be smaller than the outside dimensions, I'd guess it's around 600,000sq mm to 700,000sq mm.

But that's only a gross approximation. o How much accuracy does the OP need?

Reply to
Arlen Holder

Arlen Holder - wow! You went to town on the math!

How precise? Ohh, just an average. It's something I'm working on, so an average sized automobile tire is all I'm asking about. 215/6R16ish.

Thanks for the hard work though.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I just noticed something interesting when it comes to 'averages'. o All you need is the tread width & the aspect ratio & rim size.

That is... o For a 40 series tire, it's 2x40, i.e., tread area times 180% o For a 50 series tire, it's 2x50, i.e., tread area times 200% o For a 60 series tire, it's 2x60, i.e., tread area times 220% etc.

Notice an aspect ratio of, oh, say, 50 is 50% of the tread width. o So the surface area is a function of the tread width & aspect ratio.

If the tire is a 50-series tire, the sidewall area is approximately 100% more than the tread area (i.e., 50% times 2 sidewalls).

For a 60 series tire, the sidewall area is approximately 120% more than the tread area (i.e., 60% times 2 sidewalls).

In short, for a quick mental calculation all you need is the tread area and the sidewall-to-tread ratio, where the tread area is simply the width times the circumference of the tire.

So, for your P215/60R16, this calculator tells me:

o Diameter = 26.2" o Width = 8.5" o Sidewall = 5.1" o Circumference = 82.1" o Revs/Mile = 771

The area of the tread would be its width time the circumference: o Tread area = 8.5" times 26.2" = 222.7 sq inches

Since it's a 60-series tire, the sidewall area is 120% of that. o Sidewall area = 222.7sq inches time 120% = 267.24 sq inches

In summary, you just take the tread area and multiply it by the percent: o For a 40 series tire, surface area is tread area times 180% o For a 50 series tire, surface area is tread area times 200% o For a 60 series tire, surface area is tread area times 220% etc.

Reply to
Arlen Holder