Stove That Doesn't Vent to Outside

Hi, I'm a real estate agent. My clients found a home but the vent over the stove doesn't go outside. It is a two-story home and the stove is on an interior wall.

Not having an outside vent is a show-stopper for my clients. However, if they found a house without an outside vent they would consider installing one later, but for this particular home they think it would be too difficult to make this adjustment.

I'm assuming we will simply have to forget about this home, but just in case someone has faced a similar situation, I would be appreciative of your advice.

Thank you!

Reply to
FE

There are gas fireplaces and stoves that don't require chimneys. Example:

If the stove is designed to be vent-free, and it was installed correctly, it's probably not a problem as far as safety is concerned.

The vent-free stoves/fireplaces do have combustion byproducts - air and water. The water vapor is what you have to be concerned with. Added moisture to a house in a cold climate (any climate really) presents problems.

Get the model number and make, go to their web site and contact the manufacturer.

RicodJour

Maybe the homebuyers and the real estate agent don't know what they are looking at and need advice whether or not it is a problem or not.

Maybe the real estate agent is doing their job, and earning their money. I don't see anyone being forced.

Maybe you're just reading between lines that aren't there.

Most likely all three.

RicodJour

"Stove" is a pretty generic term, is this a wood "stove", a gas "stove", an electric "stove", an oil "stove", a pellet "stove" or what?

------------------------ stove: n. An apparatus in which electricity or a fuel is used to furnish heat, as for cooking or warmth. A device that produces heat for specialized, especially industrial, purposes. A kiln. Chiefly British. A hothouse

-------------------------

My parents used to call what we now call a "range" a stove, maybe that's what you are talking about?

DJ

Reply to
DJ

Hi RicodJour, Thank you very much for your post. I've been working with these clients for quite some time and it appeared that maybe we'd found a decent fit. These clients are smart, reasonable people, so I thought if experts on this forum had any suggestions maybe there would be a ray of hope. If there was no hope, then we would simply move on. It was not a big deal.

Maybe Amun forgot to take his medication this morning.

Reply to
FE

If you are talking about a cooking stove some provincial codes here in canada don't require an outside vent if the home has an air/heat exchanger

Reply to
robson

Removing the stove entirely would be another option. Not a big deal to do. Cap off the line to the stove/fireplace in the basement, as close to the main line as possible. Open the floor or wall by the stove and remove the exposed piping and patch and paint. I wouldn't turn down a house I liked for such a little item. You could probably have the existing owner pay for the work if they wanted to sell the house badly enough.

RicodJour

Dear Amun, I googled paranoia + medication + emerency. Here is a link to the results:

FE

Why are you wasting your clients time trying to sell them a house they don't want ? If they aren't interested, don't force it down their throats.

Someone else will likely want it.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Dear Amun, I am as helpless as a newborn kitten before your stunning come backs and wit. Thank you for exposing me. I promise from this day forth that I will be a better person. I hope we can be friends.

p.s. I googled twit + dweeb + moron. Here is a link to the results:

FE

I just read these two lines.

"Not having an outside vent is a show-stopper for my clients." "but for this particular home they think it would be too difficult"

Sounds pretty clear to me that they don't want the house or a fan vent would not be the deciding issue.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Thank you all very much for the suggestions. I work in the Phoenix Metro Area, where the housing market is VERY, VERY, VERY busy. It's slowed down a little bit lately, but we are still pretty much in a seller's market. A few posters made a great suggestion to have a contractor to come look at it, which, I bet, is the only way to go. Before I went to that level, I thought I would run it by the news group then compile responses and send them to my clients. This might help them decide if it's worth it to pursue the home or just keep looking. Also, the contractor I use and trust is VERY busy, and I don't think I could get him to run out there today.

The husband is a fairly serious home chef, and this issue, although seemingly small, is very important to him. I'm told his cooking generates a lot of smoke and that they also fear the "grease factor." Earlier today I wrote to the wife, "Just in case someone posts a follow-up question about why it might be difficult to make the adjustment to [home], please describe your thoughts to me and I'll reply to the newsgroup accordingly if that moment comes!" Here is her reply:

"Because the stove was on an interior wall it seemed as though we would have to tear up a lot of the house to run the vent through the ceiling to get to the outside. The ceiling was already pretty low in the kitchen, and I don't think it would be desirable to just run the vent through the room. And I don't think it would be possible to run it up through the house to get to the ceiling, seeing as the second story is there."

Again, thank you all and I'll see how soon I can get a contractor out.

Reply to
FE

it might be easier and cheaper to move the stove. i did that on my last house when i did a total remodel, but this wouldn't be as bad as that.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

My first thought was this is a troll. As what kind of real estate agent would use usenet to make a sale, and not first contact a contractor to see the house. ;) But the above reply makes me sure it's a troll.

Hey, I'm looking at a house but want I want to put in a two person whirlpool tub. Can I ?

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Already proven you were a troll And what kind of real estate agent you are

PLONK

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

If they otherwise like the house, this shouldn't be a major problem. It's a cookstove, right? But you still ought to be able to duct the vent in a soffit or through the floor-joists to an outside wall.

"That looks to difficult" is generally a translation for, "It's not obvious to me how to do this." Find someone who DOES know how to do it.

Reply to
Goedjn

It sounds like you understand the situation rather well. You might want to have a local pro take a look at the situation and see how much he might charge to put one it. Often the experienced professional can see ways of doing things that us mere mortals can't see.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

By stove, I assume you are talking about the cooking range not a wood burning stove for heating or such. There is no obligatory reason to have a stove vented to the outside. Plenty of benefits to do so, but not a requirement at all.

It they insist they want a vent, no amount of reasoning is going to change their minds. It may be possible to vent across the room through cabinets, but you will lose the top shelf of them or the soffit above. Most need an

8" pipe for the vent.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

So you're not talking about the stove - you're talking about the range hood, right?

You can always install a vent to the outside for a range hood. However, it may be very costly and/or not look so good.

I've done one where there were cabinets with a false beam above the stove. The vertical run was through the cabinet and the horizontal run was through the false beam to an outside wall. It was easy.

What would be involved in your case would require examination of what is there - the wall and what it takes to run a vent pipe to the outside. Without this info, we can't say anything useful.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly