stove hood vent question

We are installing a wall hood over our stove and the best way to vent it would be to go into the basement and out the wall otherwise we have a tube or built in box running along the ceiling/wall in the kitchen. I'm wondering if it is possible to go through the wall and then down with an above the stove unit. I know downdraft vents go down but is it legal or possible to vent an over the range hood down? Thanks, Gavin

Reply to
mission_modern_and_more

Legal or not, the duct will eventually get filthy inside and there'll be no way to clean it. Is the stove on an inside house wall, or outside wall?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'm having a hard time picturing that, but I'd agree w/Mr. Sparebedrom. In the long run, you're probably going to have some pretty funky smells coming from it. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

It is on an inside wall. I would have the same access to clean it as someone would have with a downdraft vent I think. I could access it from the basement and perhaps put a clean out trap or access door in the basement. My concern is with airflow going down. Perhaps I could put a booster fan somewhere in the line. The run to the wall is going to be about 6 feet. If a hood is installed over an island as I have seen it must vent a similar distance with simlar cleaning issues? Thanks for any further input. Gavin

Reply to
mission_modern_and_more

It is on an inside wall. I would have the same access to clean it as someone would have with a downdraft vent I think. I could access it from the basement and perhaps put a clean out trap or access door in the basement. My concern is with airflow going down. Perhaps I could put a booster fan somewhere in the line. The run to the wall is going to be about 6 feet. If a hood is installed over an island as I have seen it must vent a similar distance with simlar cleaning issues? Thanks for any further input. Gavin

Reply to
mission_modern_and_more

I asked about the outside wall because that would allow the installation of a wall fan to the outside, which is the best kind of fan for any kitchen. When I redesigned the kitchen in my previous home, three designers claimed that ducting from an inside wall would not be a problem. It sounded like bullshit then, and it still sounds like bullshit.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yes, you can get a booster fan. I saw one for a 4" vent at HD for less than $30.00. You'll run the booster's wires to the existing fan so the booster is energized at the same time as the main fan.

You might try venting without the booster first; your existing fan may have sufficient oomph.

You're probably thinking that the heated air (from the stove) will have a tendency to move up. But up, down, makes no difference. The fumes will be at room temperature almost immediately. Further, you'll be pulling in more room air than cooking fumes anyway.

Don't forget to guard the exhaust vent with a device to prevent hedgehogs and other critters from entering.

Reply to
HeyBub

Except for up in the initial two 90's, or the horizontal section between them.

I'm no expert, but shooting from the hip (my ass), sure you can install additional fans, but I don't think airflow is going to be the big problem. I think where that air has to turn is going to collect a lot a funk.

Again, I'm just guessing, If you can configure some convenient clean- out accesses it might be ok. Whether it meets code is another question of which I have no idea of the answer. A flue fire, however unlikely, I think would be their greatest concern, and something you should probably take into account. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman