stickers

Pesos my ass , pay me in silver or gold . Any paper money is likely to end up being worth exactly the value of the paper it's printed on . I see silver is up around 25 bucks/ounce right now ...

Reply to
Snag

Good for you but your first six words tell the story. Not everyone is capable of it either. Years ago, a high school educated adult could have a job that paid enough for the minimums of shelter, used car, food. With a little skill, earn enough to buy a modest house. Most of those jobs are overseas so we can buy stuff cheap.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Bezos followed the law and tax code, not morals and ethics. I don't blame him as much as the people writing the tax code.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The government waited too long for tariffs. They waited so long the companies went over seas and closed up shop here in the US. The cheap price of the inported goods have gotten the people spoiled.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Here in the south there used to be many jobs that did not require hardly any education at all that paid a decent wage. At the plant I worked at one job was to take a battery power hand fork truck and move big cans that were about 5 feet tall and 2 feet in diameter around. YOu moved 5 cans from a place about 30 feet and replaced the full cans with empty ones under a machine. Then it took about 20 minuites for them to fill up again. A non-union plant, but it required rotating shifts and weekend work so they had to pay just to get people to do the job. That job was in the top 10 pay of all the factory type jobs in the area. There were several other jobs in the plant that were about that simple and did not require much education.

Now those jobs are in other countries where the people barely get paid.

My dad just had a high school education. After WW2 he took a course in repairing appliances under the GI bill. He was smart working with his hands, but did not have a lot of book learning. He made a decent living.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I don't blame him either . Many of the million and billion dollar people do the same. It is the way the tax code is written. If you look at the way much of the tax code is written there are ways around taxes if you have enough money.

At one time I though I may have to put my dad in a nursing home as he was getting demensia. I spend about an hour talking to a lawyer and he told me many 'tricks' to get around paying the nursing home much money and letting the governmenat pay for it out of medicare.

One good 'trick' to keep the money was the rule said you could have one car. Not what kind, so instead of buying a $ 25,000 one, you get a 50 or even a 100 thousand dollar car.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Thanks for not addressing my point.

If you 2 were so concerned about "financial stability" before you got married, lower taxes and other expenses ASAP should have been part of your long term strategy.

They are different from a legal perspective and even more different on an emotional level. Running off to the court house is very different than tying the knot in front of family and friends.

A "2nd ceremony" is basically a show. Totally different feel.

And my SIL laughs every time I remind her. You did notice that I said I *kid* her about it, not "I bitch about it", didn't you?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

So - Ronnie Reagan's Free Trade deal was bad for the USA ?

... or just bad for the working class in USA ... ? .. big business seemed to love it, and him.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Who was the registered owner and insured drivers?

How did you get it registered/insured if Dad had dementia? Was he of sound enough mind to legally sign contracts?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I did not have to do that.

However I had power of attorney so I could sign anything I needed or wanted to . Mother had already passed and I am an only child, so no problems. I don't recall the legal term , but to get Dad in the VA hospital that was in town and have him stay there the government man said I had to get something that gave me gardenship over dad.Had to go to court and tell a judge and the government had a lawyer for dad that checked things out and said it was ok by the government.

Dad would be the owner of the car. He would not have to drive just like the rich people. They own the car the chiefer drives for them.

One other thing I did was that when mother passed I had almost everything put in both of our names with right of survivorship. That way when he passed most everything just dropped to me and there was no tax to be paid on it. He did have a will stating I got everything.

Dad knew nothing about how the banking and finace worked. Mother was a bookkeeper for a company and she did all the banking and such. I never did convience dad that a bank had several branches in town and they were all the same bank. He thought each one was a seperate bank as mother would just stop in the nearest one when she needed to do some banking. Dad did not know how to write a check so I had to make sure all the bills were paid for a few years.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Enter the roommate from hell...

Reply to
rbowman

What you don't do is piss in a coffee cup and try to pour it out the window at 65 mph.

Reply to
rbowman

It was bad for the factory workers in the US. I don't know about Canada, but With Mexico being able to produce goods for much less, the industries moved out of the US.

I don't recall, but I was thinking that part of the agreement was to try and get the wages of Mexico up to US wages. That would keep the price of goods up and maybe even give the US a place to export some goods. However it seemed to become a one way street with goods comming in but not going out of the US and Mexico wages still being low. One of the things that looks good on paper, but does not work in the real world.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Great if you can run an analysis on the spot. Silver coins when the Roman Empire was circling the drain had been debased to the point where they contained less that 10% silver.

Reply to
rbowman

Reagan also increased the debt by $1.86 trillion when his voodoo economics failed. His fans will blame the Democrats. If that is true it's another example of the failure of electoral politics to change anything. The bureaucracy rolls on regardless of the figurehead.

Reply to
rbowman

Years ago, I guy I knew who did not drive had a son at Johns Hopkins and his wife would drive them there for the weekend and he would drink a lot of beer. On the way back she complained that he was always having to stop to go to the bathroom so one day he brought out the coffee can. She looked over and yelled, "Howard, get rid of that!"

You can imagine what happened.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Might mention when we had to put my dad in a nursing home, I had sold his car. Mom had passed years ago.

Best thing I did before he ran out of money and went on Medicaid was to prepay for his funeral. As and insurance policy it was exempt from his funds.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

That was another thing my lawyer mentioned. Do the prepay...

I don't know how the law has changed now becaused it has changed. There used to be a short time period you could transfer lots of the money out, but it got moved up to 5 or more years. I heard of a type of insurance that ran for 2 or 3 years before the law change that paid for the nursing home to give you time to meet the time requirements of the law.

If you have looked into the nursing home prices it does not take very long to depleat a large amount of money.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I was speaking of romantically involved singles who move in together but not get married.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

The rates for our public <subsidized> long-term care beds are standardized - and the basic < shared room > rate is set at just under what the Canada Pension and Old Age Security totals. There is no "means test" as far as property is concerned - ie a person could own real estate and have a mattress full of money and still qualify - as long as their _income_ was below a certain threshold. Private care homes and the "extras" that can be purchased in the public care homes are a different story. John T.

Reply to
hubops