Charging multiple devices on one outlet (120V) at the same time

I have a series of LV devices that I want to charge all at the same time from the same outlet. They're 5 cell phones, 3 tablets,1 laptop and a few similar items all of which add up a trivial current draw. Can I simply use a power strip and plug each of the 120V ends of the individual device chargers into it? I know I can do this; nothing explodes or even gets warm so I know the house won't burn down but my-know-it all son thinks the devices won't charge and might be destroyed.

However, there's another consideration: can I use them all at the same time? Not "charge them at the same time" but have (say) three of them charging and use one of the phones at the same time. Expand the problem a little further; will there be any functional disturbance on any of the devices?

What happens if I stack the tablets and/or phones? There's a recommendation that you don't do this and you can even buy an envelope to prevent electrical interference between multiple devices. It looks like it's lined with aluminum foil and its main use seems to be preventing others stealing information from your cell phone. Personally I don't care about that but if I did I imagine Amazon (for one) would have it under control. (referencing walking your full shopping cart through their cashier-free supermarket check-out).

Thank you for your attention.

Reply to
knuckle-dragger

No problem using a power bar - don't "stack" devices due to heat accumulation from charging. "rack" them side by each instead. Don't worry about interference and DO NOT charge them in a bag!!!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Did your son give you any reason for thinking that the devices won?t charge or might be destroyed?

They will charge and they will not be destroyed.*

Certain devices, like some Bluetooth headsets, are not designed to be used while charging. AFAIK, phones, tablets, laptops, etc. will all work. Mine all do, regardless if they are charging via wire or wireless.

They may overheat.

*Overheating may destroy them, but that should be avoidable by not stacking them. Some devices protect themselves by shutting down when they get too hot.
Reply to
Marilyn Manson
[snip]

If these devices use USB, could you use something like this?

Mark Lloyd

total of 10 amps

Reply to
Clare Snyder