Stench in my basement

My freezer failed last month and almost all of the meat and all of the fish had to be tossed. The repairman said the controller needed to be replaced. He is coming back next week to do that, He also said they would have reimbursed me for the spoiled food, if I had purchased the protection plan! Maybe I shoulc have done that.

My problem is the stench is still in my basement, I keep the door open to make it bearable. This afternoon I am going to lay it on its side and clean the underside. Any ideas for making this place smell livable?

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

What's contaminated? Just the freezer, or surfaces around it like the floor?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Spray it down with bleach and wash it good.

Reply to
ransley

Vinegar.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Dick,

An open box of baking soda in the freezer will work after you've washed down the contaminated surfaces. It takes a long time though. In the meatime spray around large quantities of air freshener and air out the basement if it isn't too cold.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Have you tried Febreze? Might be less rough on plastic components. Not sure whether a restoration outfit like Servcemaster could help, but might be worth a phone call. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Two of these

cleared the smell of gasoline from inside my van in four days.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Look carefully at what Febreeze is. I'm concerned that it is dangerous to use.

Reply to
Boden

How about washing the inside with baking soda? Sounds like you might never get the stench out.

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

Ingredients: "Contains water, alcohol, odor eliminator derived from corn, organic polymer, fragrance. Contains no phosphate".

Reply to
willshak